wilko wine kit appeared stuck at about 1000

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
Hi.

was using a wilko wine kit and appeared stuck at about 1000. Thought it would be good idea to add a couple of spoons of both yeast and yeast nutrient. After doing so i read everywhere says you shouldnt do this. Its a 30 bottle batch. Have I just spoiled it? Dam was in a rush and trying to be efficient.

Not sure. Had stopped bubbling for days. Its bubbling away again now but few sources have said adding nutrients and yeast at this stage can spoil. U think its still drinkable? Dont want pour away 30 bottles

Keep taking readings and when it has not moved over two or three days its finished, then taste it and keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks chippy. Its still bubbling away so hopefully it might be ok. Still learning a lot ;). The extra yeast nutrient shoukdnt be harmful for consumption should it?

Thanks chippy. Its still bubbling away so hopefully it might be ok. Still learning a lot ;). The extra yeast nutrient shoukdnt be harmful for consumption should it?

I have drunk cloudy wine many times (my syphoning technique was not too good when i first started) and it does you no harm.

I have tried a couple of these kits and they turned out slightly sweet. I believe this is due to some non-fermentable sugars in the concentrate. If so, then adding more yeast and nutrient will not make it any drier. Adding extra tannin doesn't make the wine any less sweet, but gives it more 'bite', which offsets the sweetness.

Hi All,

I was more worried if the extra yeast or nutrient i added further in the cycle would make it poisonous in any way but I am sure i am being paranoid. Its bubbled away well ever since i added these so something is going on. Its coming up for trial time. Will keep you all updated ;)

Latest posts

Back