Planning to make a Turbo Cider...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfracer

Reaction score
... so reading up on it, I've got together the following

21 litres Tesco 68p apple juice
2 llitres cranberry juice
Brewing sugar
Pectolane
Malic Acid
Tannin
Cider yeast

So, am I right in thinking, I mix all this up together, sprinkle the yeast on the top, then 15 mins later, give it a good stir?

I have read adding sugar weakens the flavour but adds alcohol. What if I added 500g of sugar for a little boost?

I want a heady brew. Not too fussed if it clears completely, but want something that tastes like its made from apples.

The Wilko's kits taste nice if brewed short and add 5 litres of AJ, but still have that beery undertone.

I'm hoping this is gonna be more like a proper scrumpy.

Also, Can you drink it young if adding Malic acid? or do I have to wait for the secondary fermentation?

Time is not important, I understand it needs a few months to condition.

I plan to brew in FV, untill its done its bubbling, then rack off to second FV, and leave for a month.

Then bottle with 5g cane sugar/500ml bottle?

Owt wrong with the above before I get going?

use only a tsp of sugar per 500 mil bottle or you will have very very fizzy cider
what id the 2 ltr cranberry for?????? if you want to make it taste like apple then add 2 more ltrs of AJ??
500G of extra sugar will make it vv strong, dont forget ltrs of AJ will hold alot of sugar in it without adding extra,
give it a gentle stir (i never bother personally)

these are my own opinions im sure other people will help

:hat:

use only a tsp of sugar per 500 mil bottle or you will have very very fizzy cider
what id the 2 ltr cranberry for?????? if you want to make it taste like apple then add 2 more ltrs of AJ??
500G of extra sugar will make it vv strong, dont forget ltrs of AJ will hold alot of sugar in it without adding extra,
give it a gentle stir (i never bother personally)

these are my own opinions im sure other people will help

5g is a teaspoon... isn't it?
EDIT
The cranberry I thought was well, erm... a "nutrient" I was reading that tomato puree works... and I thought the following posts recco'd cranberry, but re reading I don't think this is the case. So, how much "nutrient"/TP do I need to add then?
END EDIT

Gawd knows what its for though... ;)
I want something around 6-7%, do you reckon I can get that from the AJ alone then?

5g is a tsp then ill take your word for it lol :oops:
If you have a homebrew shop near you then i recommended buying some yeast nutrient and using that, I say around 4 tsp but im only guessing I use 1 tsp for one gallon.
when i do TC i only use 4.5ltrs of AJ but it has total sugar content of 428.4 gm of sugar in it which gave me 5.8% abv
so i think you will reach your mark, my SG was 1044 and FG was 1000 and using the calc in the forum gave me 5.8 abv

Cheers Penguinarmy, what is the nutrient actually for???
I have a limited HB store that doesn't sell nutrient. ( why does yeast need a nutrient to get going? )
I think i need to know more about Nutrients....
Be right back!

Do not fear adding sugar. It would only 'weaken' flavour if you were replacing apple juice with sugar, but since you're using 23 litres of fruit juice (full of flavour compounds and acid), there will be plenty of flavour. Adding sugar will not 'weaken' this flavour at all. It will just boost alcohol content. You won't get 6% from juice alone. More like 4/5% (I add 200-300g of sugar to a 5 gallon batch.)

hi. i have just (last weekend) put my second cider batch on. Tweeked my last recipe which was totally aldi 100% Apple juice and mixed 16l of 100% juice (clear) with 8l of cloudy. Added yeast and nutirent, pectolase, golden syrup and a large cup of strong tea for the tannin (about 6 bags in a cup). when i last did this it turned up a very very palletable beverage that after 8wks was hitting up about 12/13% and tasted no stronger than apple juice...the only tell tale was those drinking it at the BBQ in the summer losing all function of their legs!

i called the last batch aldi-fall-di down for a very good reason! the apple juice for this lot was from co-op so going to have to rething the name!

i will post on here to let people know how it works out.

Cheers Penguinarmy, what is the nutrient actually for???

Imagine that you're about to participate in a great test of physical endurance - the New York City Marathon. Would you attempt such a feat knowing you hadn't eaten anything the night before? Of course not! And yet, without realizing it, many home winemakers are asking their yeast to perform a similar Herculean task without the benefit of basic nourishment.

From the perspective of wine yeast, it takes a lot of energy to fully ferment a quantity of grape juice into wine. As concerned winemakers, we must do our utmost to ensure the fermentation environment provides all the nutrients the wine yeast needs - when it needs it.

More - http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

I made a similar thing a few months ago using 21l of asda sp apple and 1kg of brewing sugar added, that came out at about 7.5%

I bottled in 500ml bottles with a coopers carb drop in it which didnt make it fizzy enough for me, coopers drops work out at about 3g per drop so 5g should be better

I didn't use nutrient as I didn't know what that was at the time haha. I used a youngs sparkling wine yeast in this one and it turned out pretty well. I drank it too quickly but one I did find left over after about 6 weeks was pretty tasty

time it took etc.. is in the google drive docs in the link in my sig (no2 turbo apple cider)

Imagine that you're about to participate in a great test of physical endurance - the New York City Marathon. Would you attempt such a feat knowing you hadn't eaten anything the night before? Of course not! And yet, without realizing it, many home winemakers are asking their yeast to perform a similar Herculean task without the benefit of basic nourishment.

From the perspective of wine yeast, it takes a lot of energy to fully ferment a quantity of grape juice into wine. As concerned winemakers, we must do our utmost to ensure the fermentation environment provides all the nutrients the wine yeast needs - when it needs it.

More - http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

Link doesn't work.

If the cider brews ok without nutrient why would you add it in?

21 litres Tesco 68p apple juice
2 litres cranberry juice
Brewing sugar
Pectolane
Malic Acid
Tannin
Cider yeast

So, am I right in thinking, I mix all this up together, sprinkle the yeast on the top, then 15 mins later, give it a good stir?

I have read adding sugar weakens the flavour but adds alcohol. What if I added 500g of sugar for a little boost?

I want a heady brew. Not too fussed if it clears completely, but want something that tastes like its made from apples.

The Wilko's kits taste nice if brewed short and add 5 litres of AJ, but still have that beery undertone.

I'm hoping this is gonna be more like a proper scrumpy.

Also, Can you drink it young if adding Malic acid? or do I have to wait for the secondary fermentation?

Time is not important, I understand it needs a few months to condition.

I plan to brew in FV, untill its done its bubbling, then rack off to second FV, and leave for a month.

Then bottle with 5g cane sugar/500ml bottle?

Owt wrong with the above before I get going?

You won't get that Scrumpy taste from TC, you need the real thing for that.
Everyones recipes are different I like to keep it as simple, cheap (without compromising quality) and additive free as possible so would lose the Malic and pectolane, I don't use nutrient, but do use normal cane sugar.
Cranberry is a bit thin and bitter so doesn't add much flavour, other additives such as pineapple and/or honey give more body and a lovely golden colour.
I added 600g sugar to the same amount of juice to you, it's strong stuff - about 8.5% :party:

I found the fizz took quite a while to show after being bottled (with a spoon of sugar per bottle), maybe about 2 months, but I had let it stand in the DJs for quite a while before bottling.
Write everything down that you do then you can alter the recipe on the next one, if you use DJs rather than a bin for secondary then you get more variety (or testers) per brew as you can make every one different.

Link doesn't work.

If the cider brews ok without nutrient why would you add it in?

Works fine here :-?

I use youngs super wine yeast compound which has nutrient in it already, i have always added a teaspoon of nutrient to a gallon just to make sure it finishes especially when its colder in the house.

You don't have to use it but think of how many "eggy" threads you have read here.

Works fine here :-?

I use youngs super wine yeast compound which has nutrient in it already, i have always added a teaspoon of nutrient to a gallon just to make sure it finishes especially when its colder in the house.

You don't have to use it but think of how many "eggy" threads you have read here.

Yes it's working now, their site must have been having problems - a good read, thanks.

I agree about adding nutrient, best not to risk it. I checked my notes and did indeed add some to my last TC brew.

TC underway and bubbling nicely. Omitted the cranberry juice and got some nutrient from wilko's for a pound.
Having tasted the sickly sweet apple juice from the carton, heres hoping all that sugar gets converted eh?

For reference

23 litres Tesco 68p apple juice
500g Brewing sugar
1tsp/gallon Pectolane
1tsp/gallon Malic Acid
1tsp/gallon Tannin
1tsp/gallon nutrient
1 sachet Cider yeast

Wamed one litre of juice and dissolved ths sugar and additives into it. added it as litre 22 of 23 then stirred it to death and added the yeast on the top.
In the utility room at 23* pretty much all day every day...

For my last batch, I added about .25g of oak chippings (I say chippings, it was more of a fine dust). Worked a treat, and has a more 'scrumpy' tang.

For my last batch, I added about .25g of oak chippings (I say chippings, it was more of a fine dust). Worked a treat, and has a more 'scrumpy' tang.

quarter of a gram, thats a 5th of a teaspoon then take 3/4 of whats left away? pretty much a small pinch isn't it? Doesnt seem much to flavour 23 litres of apples... :hmm:
Will any oak sawdust do? I have a workshop full of oak sawdust... and i can make more expecially .25g worth ;)

quarter of a gram, thats a 5th of a teaspoon then take 3/4 of whats left away? pretty much a small pinch isn't it? Doesnt seem much to flavour 23 litres of apples... :hmm:
Will any oak sawdust do? I have a workshop full of oak sawdust... and i can make more expecially .25g worth ;)

I only brew in demijohns. A 1g pouch is enough for 23l - technically, at .25g I'm overdoing it.
By all means try the fluff off of your workshop floor - I'm all for experimentation. I tried American Oak Chippings from Boyes home brew section. You can see the effect it has by the deliciously orange sludge left in the bottom of the fv.

Latest posts

Back