bottled it!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chips1971

Reaction score
is there a thing as too much sugar? Used 2 coopers carb drops in my 500ml bottles...... But ran out on the last 5 bottles so used granulated sugar x2 teaspoonfuls....... Have I trashed these last 5 bottles?!?!?!?!?!?!

now I have the overwhelming urge to drink them(they have only been bottled since Friday teatime.....its now Sunday teatime)

must......forget........about.......the......brew!!!!!!:drink:

I've gone as high as 8g per litre which is about 1 3/4 teaspoons with no I'll effects or bottle bombs.

Are we talking about 2 heaped or 2 flat? That will make a difference.

Edit :- Just reread my post. I'm taking about per litre not per 500ml bottle. You might have a problem. At least it's only 5 bottles!!!!

was the last 5 and to be fair it was the dregs of the fermenter so probably wont have been that drinkable anyway!! And they are PET so hopefully no exploding bottles

was the last 5 and to be fair it was the dregs of the fermenter so probably wont have been that drinkable anyway!! And they are PET so hopefully no exploding bottles

You should be fine if they are PET. They'll just be really fizzy. I had one batch that I obviously didn't stir properly and all the sugar must have ended up in the last bottle (coopers PET) and the bottle got a bit mishapen and swollen but it didn't burst. I wouldn't have thought that only 2 level teaspoons would come close to doing that.

Stash them away as normal. They'll be fine!

I put 2 carbination drops in my 500ml bottles and the are quite flat for me im going to try sugar nxt time

Get them outside. Hope the cold makes the beer absorb the CO2. It will make the yeast more dormant too. Then serve well chilled and watch out for beer volcanos - open them over the sink!

If they blow, at least it will be in your garage/shed. Do not bring them back in and let them get to room temperature - you will be 'priming' your bombs!!!

so its been in the warm secondary for 9 days now...... Crash chilled a bottle 20mins in the freezer....... And served in a Stella commercial pub glass (with the bubble maker at the bottom) and for a 'green' brew its nice..... Not to far away from aldi st ettienne continental lager....... And that's after only 9 days mmmmmmm

WP_20141130_002.jpg

Hm, reading through this thread I'm getting a tad concerned myself now..
Recently bottled my first finished brew, a Cooper's Stout, and I added a teaspoonful per 500ml, just over level, but when I say a teaspoon I mean quite literally; a fairly shallow one that is used for stirring tea, not a proper measuring spoon..
10l of the stout are in plastic bottles so no worries there, but I also have 18 X 500ml crown capped glass bottles of it to 'lay away'.
If I periodically unscrew a plastic cap to check on it will doing that spoil the contents? Although I guess I'd rather lose a couple of litres than have 18 glass bottles explode on me...:eek:

If I periodically unscrew a plastic cap to check on it will doing that spoil the contents?

Yes, it will. When you open the cap you'll be letting oxygen in which means when you seal it up again it'll only be good for another day or two. If using the same bottle it wont give you a true picture of how the ones that haven't been opened are doing because they'll still be sealed.

Best way to check how they are doing is open one to drink every so often:)

Latest posts

Back