Some advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Featherhat

Knackered old p...head
Reaction score
Hi folks. I have, until now, only brewed kits as per instructions. I'm hoping to make my next brew a bit stronger. I have a Wilko sweet Newkie Brown kit and a kilo of muntons beer kit enhancer plus various varieties of sucrose in the kitchen cupboard. Do I:
a) brew short, 30 pints or so with the BKE
b) brew 40 pints and add 500g or so of dark brown or golden caster sugar
c) neither of the above.
Your learned counsel will be greatly appreciated.

Hi ya,I'd prob use half the enhancer and 500g of dark brown sugar. I've ,well my wife made this kit and added everything including the kichen into it but it smells lush. Let us know how it turns out

Hi ya,I'd prob use half the enhancer and 500g of dark brown sugar. I've ,well my wife made this kit and added everything including the kichen into it but it smells lush. Let us know how it turns out
Love that word "lush" I lived in Bristol for a while so I'm probably one of very few northerners who's used to it. Thanks for your input but the plan was to make it to a higher ABV so I'll probably use all the enhancer and add 500g of brown sugar and see how that turns out.:cheers:

I put one on last night, 1kg enhancer and 500g brewing sugar, brewed to 21 litres (didn't stop the tap soon enough, aimed for 20) and that should come out at 5%. It'll probably be a bit on the thin side, I'd have used sme in place of the sugar if I had any to hand.

Did as planned. Ikg enhancer. 500g dark brown sugar, brewed short to 4 gallon mark on fv. Target ABV after priming about 7%. The wort tastes, unsurprisingly, very sweet but also very bitter from the hops at the moment but as this is, essentially, a mild ale I expect it will mellow. I'm aiming to drink it (possibly not all of it) on boxing day,when the family come round. DoctorMick,let me know how yours turns out.

Latest posts

Back