newbie ask : Woodforde's Wherry kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanJames

Reaction score
Hello folks,

My first foray into home brewing (except for some extremely experimental efforts as a teenager) and got a couple of questions about the Woodforde's Wherry kit I'm about to tackle.

I've seen a well made online video on YouTube in which there is no fermentation lock used, is this normal? Always thought it was essential.

I've seen another where its recommended that you sample the wort with a hydrometer for three days in a row when you think the first fermentation is done and if its unchanged, you're ready to bottle. My concern is that in order to obtain the sample, you'd have to expose the wort to air. So is it OK to just open the bin after 5 days of fermentation? I can't think of any other way of drawing out the fluid.

Forgive any newbie assumptions and ignorance here and thanks for any help! Cheers, Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

An airlock is not essential for beer fermentation you can just place the lid on top of the FV and click down in two positions so that the CO2 can vent out. A layer of CO2 is produced quite quickly and this will protect the beer from nasties.

As for the hydrometer readings I usually sanitise it and gently drop it in when the fermentation appears to have stopped and then you can pop the lid and read it without disturbing it too much (give it a spin to shake of the bubbles). The Wherry kit is really good but the instructions are incredibly optimistic. Leave it for about two weeks before popping the hydrometer in and after bottling/kegging it really needs 2 months or so to condition before drinking.

I've recently done a Wherry and had the pain of a stuck fermentation at 1.020 which is quite a common problem apparently. Might be worth mixing some Gervin Ale yeast with the kit yeast at the beginning to prevent this happening (they don't give you much yeast in the kit).

Hope this helps,

Max

No worries.

Remember to sanitise anything that will come into contact with the brew (pretend that everything has ebola on it and make sure to get everywhere with the sterilising solution). Lazyness at this stage may ruin it and it sucks, when you've waited a few weeks, to have to bin a brew.

Be sure to get the wort as aerated as possible before pitching the yeast by pouring the water in from a height and giving it a proper stir with a sanitised spoon so there is a nice froth on it. Resist the temptation to open the lid until you drop the hydrometer in.

Enjoy!

If you've still got chance before you put it on, get some yeast nutreint from Wilko or eBay and put a teaspoon or two in. The miserly amount of yeast with the Wherry (and similar kits) coupled with the low temps this time of year can result in stuck brews, yeast nutrient will help it along.

If you've still got chance before you put it on, get some yeast nutreint from Wilko or eBay and put a teaspoon or two in. The miserly amount of yeast with the Wherry (and similar kits) coupled with the low temps this time of year can result in stuck brews, yeast nutrient will help it along.

Much better idea than adding a different yeast. Will do this next time I do a Wherry. Coopers English bitter to do next though. Going to use cooper's beer enhancer 2 instead of sugar and dry hop with 20g of Styrian Goldings hops after a couple of days in the FV. Hopefully it will be nicer to drink with less maturing than the Wherry needs but will have to see.

Problem is that I'm from Norfolk and Wherry was my first foray into ale drinking. I worked in a pub for a while which served wherry straight from the keg so I struggle to ignore the fact that the wherry kit doesn't quite taste right.

Latest posts

Back