Does anyone skin yeast from live brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
I read about "yeast ranching" where you skim some krausen of an active ferment to cultivate more yeast.

Has anyone tried this as it sounds good

I've done some "top cropping" last night but I think I've left it too late as there wasn't much krausen on top! I've got a bit in a jar but probably not enough

It was worth a shot. Try making a little starter out of it and stepping it up from there.

There's always next time:)

I started looking into this for when I start brewing AG (the BIAB variety). Looks like a good way of getting more value out of a pack/tube of yeast.

I love doing this stuff, I think I'm gonna make a yeast farm lol. i'll see what I can get out of it if I make a starter.

Actually i'll have to grab some plastic test tubes from ebay and freeze them for later use

you can do but I find it a bit of a faff when all i have to do is buy the dried yeast fom my local HBS and add it in

I read about "yeast ranching" where you skim some krausen of an active ferment to cultivate more yeast.

Has anyone tried this as it sounds good

Check out this setup, I have been toying with this idea but this looks like a perfect way to top crop safely.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f258/burton-union-system-2-carboys-diy-506049/

yeast cropping 001.jpg

Latest posts

Back