Easier Labels ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
Surely somebody has come up with a better solution to bottle labeling than this method: ?
I design basic beer labels using MS Publisher or Inkscape and print on to an A4 sheet of paper, cut out and stick on with a Prit stick.
The designing part is quite interesting, but cutting out and gluing 40 labels for a batch is not my idea of fun, plus, if I've had a couple of 'samples' beforehand then the labels can end up a bit wonky!:drunk:
I have seen some easy-peel labels on eBay and wondered if anyone had tried this type of label? Are they genuinely easy to peel off prior to washing/sanitising ? I have avoided self-adhesive labels in the past due to the difficulty in removing them cleanly.

You've pretty much described my modus operandi for labelling.

I avoid easy peel labels for the same reason.

Try using two mini-kegs then bottle the rest. Labelling becomes 50% easier :p

After a bit of research I've found that Avery do self-adhesive easy removable labels on A4 sheets.
Both Round and rectangular, so I can print them off from my computer. If it works it will save a fair bit of time.:-D

I've been thinking about labels for the beers I give away (I was planning on Scrooging the lot to myself but a couple of friends have helped by donating empty bottles).

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing something a bit different/rustic/post-modern (ok - easier :) ). By cutting a sheet of A4 width-ways into 4 or 5 equal rectangles and cutting a hole in one end of each strip to fit over the bottle neck, allowing the tag to hang down the bottle. I've made a couple to experiment and it looks quite good. Theres plenty of room for a logo and info, and minimal hassle (very easy to design and produce, and there's no sticking or removing labels).

I use a guillotine for cutting, only takes a couple of minutes, then stick on with a ramekin of milk and a pastry brush - gives plenty of time to get them straight and just comes straight off with water.

+1 for Avery labels, use their online design tool to drop your design into the label template then just print and peel off.

I use the paper guillotine method for wine lables, but cutting up 40+ labels for beer bottles takes so long I lose patience.

I found the milk method caused the labels to go all mouldy - what am I doing wrong?
For the last batch of Gorse wine I just used sticky blank labels because I was so sick of mouldy looking homebrew - puts people off trying what's inside.

I found the milk method caused the labels to go all mouldy - what am I doing wrong?
For the last batch of Gorse wine I just used sticky blank labels because I was so sick of mouldy looking homebrew - puts people off trying what's inside.

Too much milk maybe? Doesn't need much at all - I also use skimmed milk, no idea if that makes any difference though :)

Has anyone tried painting the bottles with blackboard paint? That way we can chalk on the latest brew.

I may give this a go and let you know how I get on

Link doesn't work, says the item/page isn't found.
Really? Works for me? Anyhow, Google herma moveables. Those are the labels I use. Peel off easily, yet stay on bottles. Make up labels using word templates for the label size you buy, and it's easy.

Has anyone tried painting the bottles with blackboard paint? That way we can chalk on the latest brew.

I may give this a go and let you know how I get on

I like that idea. I have some that I was going to use very soon so will try it on some bottles too!

Back