Best before?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitterlad

Reaction score
Hi guys, I made some ale from a kit, 1st time and it turned out not bad.
I went off the taste for a couple of weeks and went back to it- thought it seemed a lot different, not to my liking.

So... The manual did say it will keep opened in the fridge for a few months.

I've now had it 2/3 months opened- should I chuck it?

Not sure what to look for with regards to taste etc.

Thanks.

It should last a lot longer than that I know people who have kept their beers for a year or so.

Are you able to describe the flavour which doesn't taste right? if something for example like oxidation occurred that could come out a few weeks after bottling

I am drinking beer at moment bottled December 2013 and in the main beer improves with age.

The yeast in the beer may become dormant but it does not die. And over time it cleans up the beer and in general improves the taste. I am for 6 months start to drink time as we get to the year mark it starts to get to the stage where it can start degrading again.

But there is no question the taste of beer changes and when I go to the pub I realize the beer I am drinking is green. If you as use to green beer then drinking mature beer may seem wrong taste to what you are use to.

Beer can of course go off. But the whole idea of brewing was to purify the drinking water so it could be kept for drinking latter. Pasture did realize that beer could go off and many award him with the research into ways to extend the storage time. He realized if you find a yeast which will work at low temperature then it will beat any things which could infect the brew. The name to this process of long time storage is taken from the German to store "Lager".

From that clearly the temperature at what beer is brewed does make a lot of difference. Personally it worked in reverse it was the lagered beer that went off not the standard ale so beer can go off but in the main 6 months for 2% to 2 years for 6% the higher the ABV the longer it will keep.

I still have Penguin Ale brewed in 1985 but no intention of trying it.

Hi guys, I made some ale from a kit, 1st time and it turned out not bad.
I went off the taste for a couple of weeks and went back to it- thought it seemed a lot different, not to my liking.

So... The manual did say it will keep opened in the fridge for a few months.

I've now had it 2/3 months opened- should I chuck it?

Not sure what to look for with regards to taste etc.

Thanks.

At what point should "opened" read "unopened", please?

Leaving anything opened in any fridge is almost certain to be distasteful after a few days.

Back