Siphon to Priming time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madjules

Reaction score
Just trying to split up the tasks as just bottling for me not including the siphoning seems to take over 2 hours.
If I siphon into a second bucket over the priming sugar, how long do you think it can be left before bottling?
I was hoping for as long as a day, or would the remaining yeast start to work on the priming sugar?
I tend to leave the first bucket for 14 days so it is fully fermented out.
(Am brewing kits like Wherry etc.)

Thanks.

I tend to rack to a second FV and add a small amount of sugar (maybe half the amount of priming sugar) so as to push out any air etc through the airlock quickly. It really does not take long before the yeast starts to go to work again. I would suggest that by the next day you will be guessing how much priming sugar is needed.

Batch priming is really based on the assumption that you just get on with it, I'm afraid.

Is that 2 hours just the actual filling of bottles, or sterilising aswell? A bottle wand and larger syphon tube would speed up filling. Remember though, you want to fill the bottles up slowly, you don't want to splash and draw lots of oxygen during this stage.

Never left it longer than an hour meself but I don't see any problem leaving it for twelve hours even 24 as long as you cover it properly so nothing (fruit flies, etc) can get in. Takes a minmum of 1 week (if kept in a warm place) to carbonate so I dont think 12-24 hours is going to do any harm.

The only possible problem I could maybe forsee is maybe bacteria some how getting in but I think this is quite unlikely, after all people rack to a secondary and leave it there for several days no problem

Personally if I needed/wanted to leave my beer on top of the priming sugar for 24 hours I'd have no hesitation doing it

Never left it longer than an hour meself but I don't see any problem leaving it for twelve hours even 24 as long as you cover it properly so nothing (fruit flies, etc) can get in. Takes a minmum of 1 week (if kept in a warm place) to carbonate so I dont think 12-24 hours is going to do any harm.

The only possible problem I could maybe forsee is maybe bacteria some how getting in but I think this is quite unlikely, after all people rack to a secondary and leave it there for several days no problem

Personally if I needed/wanted to leave my beer on top of the priming sugar for 24 hours I'd have no hesitation doing it

Having left it for 24 hours what sugars do you propose the yeast will use to produce co2 to carbonate the beer in the bottle?

Having left it for 24 hours what sugars do you propose the yeast will use to produce co2 to carbonate the beer in the bottle?

If i'm understanding your question correctly, the yeast will still be using the priming sugar to carbonate the beer but of course it takes time for the yeast to carbonate the beer. The yeast wont consume all the priming sugar in 12-24 hours while it's in the bottling bucket and therefore leave no CO2 for the bottles

Thanks for the replies.
Makes sense to me that there is not enough time (if next day) for the yeast to make in roads into the priming sugar before its in the bottle.
But as it looks quite close to call I think will just go for siphon when getting home at 6pm and bottling around 10pm (kids to bed and other jobs in between)

Yeah it's usually around 2 hours including sterilising (I also use a bottle tree) and tidying up

conditions in a bucket are different to those in the bottle, the production of co2 wont increase the pressure like in a bottle which is one factor which slows the pace of the yeast activity in the bottle.

to slow the rate of sugar consumption before bottling you could either not add the sugar till your ready to bottle, add sugar directly to the bottles, or chil the brew down to a temperature guaranteed to send your yeast into a dormant state.

if your brew can consume 2+kg of fermentables within 4-5days (average primary fermentation period in a temp controlled fridge using S04 with brews upto 6%) the chances are at optimum yeast temps a significant proportion of the priming sugar could be consumed during 24hours in a bucket changing the character of the finished beer.

just my opinion..

conditions in a bucket are different to those in the bottle, the production of co2 wont increase the pressure like in a bottle which is one factor which slows the pace of the yeast activity in the bottle.

to slow the rate of sugar consumption before bottling you could either not add the sugar till your ready to bottle, add sugar directly to the bottles, or chil the brew down to a temperature guaranteed to send your yeast into a dormant state.

if your brew can consume 2+kg of fermentables within 4-5days (average primary fermentation period in a temp controlled fridge using S04 with brews upto 6%) the chances are at optimum yeast temps a significant proportion of the priming sugar could be consumed during 24hours in a bucket changing the character of the finished beer.

just my opinion..

I agree with this also. If you do decide to chill the brew down I would be inclined to give everything a stir again to rouse the yeast again before bottling.

My thoughts still lie with the question as to why you are wishing to seperate the two tasks? It really doesn't take that much time to siphon into a bucket and add sugar. Personally I don't bother with a bottling bucket anyway. I crash cool my beer 24 hours before bottling, gently stir in sterlised priming solution, then siphon straight from primary into bottles.

If i'm understanding your question correctly, the yeast will still be using the priming sugar to carbonate the beer but of course it takes time for the yeast to carbonate the beer. The yeast wont consume all the priming sugar in 12-24 hours while it's in the bottling bucket and therefore leave no CO2 for the bottles
So you add your desired amount of sugar to get your desired carb level but don't bottle for 12-24 hours, how do you know how much sugar will be left (if any) and what your carb level will be?

FWIW I don't share your thoughts re the yeast not consuming all the sugar ~100g for 23l won't take long to munch through.

So you add your desired amount of sugar to get your desired carb level but don't bottle for 12-24 hours, how do you know how much sugar will be left (if any) and what your carb level will be?

FWIW I don't share your thoughts re the yeast not consuming all the sugar ~100g for 23l won't take long to munch through.

That's the problem with doing this and leaving it for 12-24 you wouldn't know. This is why I personally have never done it and would only do it if I somehow ran out of time on bottling day or had an emergency to attend to or something.

MMm. Wonder if there is any info out there on interweb about how long a certain strain of yeast takes to consume a stated amount of sugar. As I'm still convinced that you could get away with leaving it for 12-24 hours, but I'm prepared to be proved wrong (won't be the first time and definately won't be the last). Yeast uses the sugar to first multiply, only then does it start producing alcohol. But I'm not sure at which stage it produces CO2 so If its the latter stages it gives you some wiggle room to leave your beer in the bottle bucket before bottling

Just had to update, would you believe it after all that trying to save time the bottling took 3 and a half hours because my capper just didn't seem to want to hold tight and each cap took between 30 seconds and 5 mins of trying over and over again. I was trying pliers and all sorts.
So in bed at 2am stressed!
Nearly poured it back in and then would go and get a capper in the morning but was worried about oxygenation.
Also was tempted to chuck about 10 difficult bottles but didn't want to waste this brew.
It was a Wherry but I hadn't been that impressed compared with the comments on here so this time I used 11g of wilko gervin yeast hoping to get the gravity down more (it did get to 1012 instead of 1014 last time) and I also dry hopped with east kent goldings hoping to improve the aroma.

I did however find that to save a bit more time in the 10-15 mins it was was going through the siphoning tube in the racking process I managed to sanitise about 30 bottles so a good combination of tasks.
I do usually not siphon and just go for priming in the bottles but have started to prefer the batch priming and also had to siphon this one as the hops were loose.

Back