when should I bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thursobhoy

virgin brewer.
Reaction score
Been fermenting my festival golden stag for about 3/4 weeks now, and its stuck at 1010 on the hydrometer. Will it be safe to bottle or should I wait as its still a bit high?

Thanks

Darren.

I've not done the kit myself mate but I reckon you'd be ok to bottle it.

The kit spec on the home brew shop lists the approx FG as 1.009 so you're not far away!

I've got two hydrometers and they are out by 1 line compared to each other.

To check if yours is accurate then put some water at 20C in your trial jar (or a glass) and your hydrometer should read 1.000.

Also if the temperature of your brew is not 20c then you should correct for temperature

byo.com/stories/issue/item/411-calibrate-your-hydrometer-and-fermenter-techniques

Until you've done that you don't have an absolute reading.

My Wherry kits are usually all done at 1014 according to my 1st hydrometer (I left the first one 6 weeks waiting for it to get lower and it didn't and was fine)

hope that helps

1010 is a fairly normal reading for an FG. When you look in the top of your FV you should see no foam there at all, and definitely no bubbles, and if it's stopped fermenting it will noticeably be starting to clear from the top. To my eyes it has a kind of `dead' look about it. I always look for that first and then do a check with the hydrometer.

Sounds to me like you should be bottling.

remember the hydrometers we are using are not accurately calibrated and there are many variables around the (natural) brewing process. So use the measurement as a ballpark indication, not a scientific fact.

Latest posts

Back