Tesco Direct - Homebrew - Sale Now Back On

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like 'Cack' Friday..

"Quite fancy a John Bull IPA kit myself.."

Likewise. Or even two. In fact at those prices it's tempting to stock right up. Thanks for the shout.

Cheers baggybill, ordered the JB IPA myself with the youngs beer enhancer, I can recommend the IPA.

Very few bargains that i can see, only real eye catcher is the pressure barrel at £18,75, all the kits except the Coopers kits are extortionate, Think Tesco need to get hold of another supplier, seems Cleverboxes have pulled the wool over the big boys eyes somewhat....

Very few bargains that i can see, only real eye catcher is the pressure barrel at £18,75, all the kits except the Coopers kits are extortionate, Think Tesco need to get hold of another supplier, seems Cleverboxes have pulled the wool over the big boys eyes somewhat....

I agree entirely, was hoping for at least a couple of deals, but ended up just getting a new Coopers starter kit for the FV and 3 packs of the Coopers caps... nothing else caught my eye that was worth buying... LHBS is cheaper for the Bulldog kits!!

Tesco 'Partner' pricing way over the top!!

Hmm: as a noob to all this home beer mullarky & looking to get a quick set up i thought of starting off with some of the tesco offers, ie barrel £18.75 ( which i will modify ), the youngs beer enhancer ( looks cheap to me) , as well as some of the geordie & john bull stuff. Can i do better ? Oh & 10% staff discount always helps.

Hope this don't sound like i'm plugging/spamming/promoting tesco , just looking for a cheap entry into homebrew as wilko's have no offers on at the mo.

kit is a nice offer shame it's only 30 bottles and no choice of beer.

That's a mistake. It used to be x30 bottles when they did 740ml a while back. They're now all 500ml and there's x45 in the box. Packaging may say different but there's a print out inside the box that explains this.

When you think about it, they have to include enough bottles to cover what your going to make with the kit.

The bottles themselves are cheapest I've seen them online for a while at ~£7 for x24 at the moment, if that's what yer after.

That's a mistake. It used to be x30 bottles when they did 740ml a while back. They're now all 500ml and there's x45 in the box. Packaging may say different but there's a print out inside the box that explains this.

When you think about it, they have to include enough bottles to cover what your going to make with the kit.

The bottles themselves are cheapest I've seen them online for a while at ~£7 for x24 at the moment, if that's what yer after.

Have you bought one yourself?

Not only does it clearly say about the 30 bottles but someone complained about it only coming with 30 bottles. Iv also seen the pack advertised in other places only coming with 30 bottles.

A choice of brew would be nice as I'd rather drink council pop than larger

Yeah... I have. I actually just went and counted my bottles, just to make sure I wasn't talking pants - x45 500ml's. And I still have the print out in the box explaining why.

Mind you, I did buy my kit a good couple of months ago (from Tesco) so sounds like maybe things have changed recently.

***Edit:
Second review from the top (from 1 month ago), sort by most recent, states 30 bottles supplied when nearly 40 would be required! Well spotted Malkin71... I wouldn't have been too happy about that either.

My local tesco is gonna be fed up with my home brew collections

My local tesco is gonna be fed up with my home brew collections

Yes, I went a bit crazy myself. Initially ordered 10 beer kits and 10kg of the Young's BKE. When I saw the checkout total I thought "Whoa!" and chopped it down.
But next day I thought sod it, BKE for £3.75 a kg? And the John Bull and Coopers beer kits averaging £10 each? The more I buy the more I'll be saving over the coming year. So I've just re-ordered the items I'd removed.
I won't be buying a new car with what I saved but it's got to be worthwhile stocking up on stuff you know you'll be using.

The demijohn is good value?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/youngs-1-gallon-glass-demijohn/213-2368.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=213-2368

I'm lucky to have a supplier that's close to me and is pretty competitive compared to these prices. Has anyone spotted any other bargains that they think is value?

You can usually pick a demijohn up for a quid at a car boot, failing that e-bay is next best, and i think at the last Wilko sale they where going for around £4.....

You can usually pick a demijohn up for a quid at a car boot, failing that e-bay is next best, and i think at the last Wilko sale they where going for around £4.....

Charity shops are a good place to look, i have found a few in ours.

We don't have a Wilko in NI but thanks for the car boot and charity shops idea. I'll check them out.

Yes, I went a bit crazy myself. Initially ordered 10 beer kits and 10kg of the Young's BKE. When I saw the checkout total I thought "Whoa!" and chopped it down.
But next day I thought sod it, BKE for £3.75 a kg? And the John Bull and Coopers beer kits averaging £10 each? The more I buy the more I'll be saving over the coming year. So I've just re-ordered the items I'd removed.
I won't be buying a new car with what I saved but it's got to be worthwhile stocking up on stuff you know you'll be using.

You're not saving much.

90p on bke

£1.00 on coopers kits

And that's before 5% discount I get. A saving is a saving but it's not much granted.

So I've saved £9.00 on BKE and £10 on the beer kits, thus £19.00 saved.
Frankly I'll take it while it's there and be glad of it. Like I say, it's stuff I'd be buying anyway.
If you've a cheaper supplier I'm sure we'd all be very grateful for a 'heads up'..

Latest posts

Back