Coopers Lager First sample

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

Reaction score
So, after 9 days in FV and 5 days in the bottles, I dicided to have a little look at one bottle tonight just to get an idea how things are going, seeing its my first ever brew I wasnt expecting too much if im quite honest. But, to say im happy is an understatement!! Some carbonation, but not loads, but then at this stage, after only 5 days in the bottles I dont know what to expect, i hope thats normal, but anyway, the difference in taste already from when it was bottled is night and day, its already quite drinkable and though not 100% clear, its pretty damn good. Ive tasted homebrew in the past and was always shocked at bad after tastes, but although there is a very slight after taste, even though not a bad one, im sure thats normal for such a young beer? Cant wait to they are fully ready now. :grin::grin:

Well, day 8 in bottles at room temp and I just tried another to see how the carbonation is going. Even though its only 3 days after last test theres a huge difference. Really nice fizz, head stayed the whole way down and really getting very clear indeed. Taste wise, I could sit no problems and drink now !! :) Think i will move them to cooler place now and come back on xmas day for my next sample. very happy with my first brew so far. Must be beginners luck !!:cheers:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8JOYzsq6s[/ame]
watch

Well, day 8 in bottles at room temp and I just tried another to see how the carbonation is going. Even though its only 3 days after last test theres a huge difference. Really nice fizz, head stayed the whole way down and really getting very clear indeed. Taste wise, I could sit no problems and drink now !! :) Think i will move them to cooler place now and come back on xmas day for my next sample. very happy with my first brew so far. Must be beginners luck !!:cheers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8JOYzsq6s
watch
Congratulations, looks like a success story.
Enjoy !

Hi Jake good to see your brews doing well.
I started this brew on the seventh of December and bottled on the 14th. I've just opened a bottle checked the abv-1016 it tastes not too bad but not much body, head.
I'm going to move to a cooler place on the 28th, just wondering if any of the experienced Brewers out there will think time will help the body of the lager.
I'm pretty sure the taste will get better the longer I leave but I'd like it to look a bit better too.

Hi Jake good to see your brews doing well.
I started this brew on the seventh of December and bottled on the 14th. I've just opened a bottle checked the abv-1016 it tastes not too bad but not much body, head.
I'm going to move to a cooler place on the 28th, just wondering if any of the experienced Brewers out there will think time will help the body of the lager.
I'm pretty sure the taste will get better the longer I leave but I'd like it to look a bit better too.

Only 7 days fermenting before bottling seems a bit short. Did you check the gravity before bottling ? it needs to be constant over 2-3 days to be sure its fermented out completely. 2 weeks in the fermentation vessel is more like it and 3 weeks won't hurt - makes for a cleaner tasting beer apparently as the yeasts clean up after themselves once finished fermenting.

What fermentables did you add to the kit when mixing it up and starting things off - Brewing Sugar, Dried Malt Extract (DME), or Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 or 2 ? What weights of each did you add ?

How much priming sugar (and what of sugar) did you add when bottling ?

Leave definately for 14 days in the warm to get good carbonation before moving into the cold then leave for 3-4 weeks if you can hold off that long !

Used the coopers 1 enhancer and 1 1/2 carbonation tablets per 500 ml bottle. I think your correct another week or so before bottling would have been better.I opened another bottle last night and would happily drink it, good fizz not much head but I'm going to leave it be for a while.
Thanks for the advice I'll definitely take it onboard and keep you posted when I open a few more in a couple of weeks.

Make sure you store those bottles in a cool place such as a fridge, which will allow the CO2 to be absorbed into the beer - day 7 was way too early too bottle, they'll still be slowly fermenting, if you keep them in a warm house there's a good chance they'll explode.

Thanks too all, I'll learn. This lots going in the garage tomorrow, I'm still hopeful time will make it ok.

Latest posts

Back