Do you chuck your trial jar contents??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question: why do so many brewers toss the trial jar contents? If we take four readings (one for OG and three consecutive FG to ensure activity has ceased) that adds up to 400ml, geting on for a bottle full.
Surely if we sanitise the jar, the hydrometer and the turkey baster it could just go back in the fv? No?
That's what I've been doing, now bracing myself for a barrage of :nono:

If I've taken the time to sanitise everything I pour it back in. Don't see why thats a bad thing.

If not, which happens more often, I'm with MyQul, taste test all the way :)

I put my sanitised hydrometer straight into the wort/beer to take my readings (so no trial jar). I believe this is considered high risk behaviour but it works for me!

I always drink mine. I love taking a sip at each stage from mash through to final product; it's excellent to see how the brew evolves!

And for the record I end up taking far more than 4 samples!

I always sanitise everything that touches by beer.

I still drink it rather than put it back. ;-)

Brewers privilege and part of 'quality control'!!! :party:

BT- As you rightly state all those trial jars add up. If at some point on your HB journey you want to splash some cash, a refractometer only needs 2-3 drops of wort to measure gravity. They cost about £20 off fleabay

I always pour the wort from the O.G. trial jar back in (from sanitised jar), but once the beer's fermented I always drink them to see how its coming along, but this is only usually twice during the process, at the end of primary fermentation and again at the end of secondary fermentation, before bottling/kegging.

I eat and drink everything even if I know its bad. Its important to have a mental database of these flavors to assist you in the future.

I taste all of my starters before I pour them off so I know what flavor that yeast will impart.

I tasted my very first OG sample (Evil Dog) but it wasn't all that nice so I poured it back and never bothered again, though I probably might if I was AG or doing a partial. As Bp suggests, it can only help the learning curve.
The FG samples I have drank, though usually only a bit as I find these too are so far from their best that I'd rather enjoy those sample jars of beer ahen they've improved. Also I tend to take my readings early in the morning, not the best time to sample a brew..
The refractometer is interesting but kind of a luxury item and as a tight git if I can save the expense I will..

I always thought it was the law that you had to drink it...

Good point, unless you're a lazy git like me and just stick the hydrometer in the top of the FV. I do give it a rinse with cooled boiled water first though, and only take 1 reading when I can see fermentation has stopped just to check.

I use a sterilised wine thief. Can just drop the sample straight back in after taking reading

Quick question: why do so many brewers toss the trial jar contents? If we take four readings (one for OG and three consecutive FG to ensure activity has ceased) that adds up to 400ml, geting on for a bottle full.
Surely if we sanitise the jar, the hydrometer and the turkey baster it could just go back in the fv? No?
That's what I've been doing, now bracing myself for a barrage of :nono:

I also drink it, its a health food as far as I am concerned, pure healthy natural goodness!

My second brew stuck so I ended up taking a few readings and poured it back it. Don't know if that affected the brew but I think it oxidised. So I now take an OG reading and drink the samples. My last brew was a 40 pint kit brewed short at 21 litres and I ended up with 36 bottles. I have made a decision not to worry about having a bit of wastage.

Latest posts

Back