one gallon all grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a few one gallon all grain brews and am curious to know if anyone has had experience with this?
One of the things i am wondering is the ratio of ingredients if i am working from a 5 gallon all grain recipe. Do i simply divide the volume of ingredients by 5? Or do i have to calculate the recipe a bit more accurately?
Any advice would be great.
Cheers

Just divide by five. I do a lot of smaller batches, just done three 7 litre batches. I use Brewmate to calculate everything. Enter recipes as you find them, and adjust the batch size. It's a free download, small file, easy to use.

Just be careful with yeast quantities; you don't want to overpitch as this can cause off flavours, and normal scales are unlikely to be accurate enough. I have found a teaspoon to be a good amount for 1 gallon batches.

Just be careful with yeast quantities; you don't want to overpitch as this can cause off flavours, and normal scales are unlikely to be accurate enough. I have found a teaspoon to be a good amount for 1 gallon batches.

Also careful of hops with high AA%. As small amount wrong in 23L is neither here or there but in a 1G brew it can mean quite a big difference in IBU's. I use Jewellers scales to wiegh my hops and yeast when doing 1G batches. As Johhnyboy state a teaspoon full is far too much you only need about 2g-3g

My calcs for pitching 1 tsp (3g) as follows:

5 billion cells / og point / 5 gallon

1 billion / og point / gallon

Say 1.050 og that's 50 billion cells

A perfectly fresh and fully viable pack of drid yeast may contain 20 billion cells, so for good measure say 3g - I don't know how a tsp is too much but 3g is ok?

That's far too much calculating for me, my head would blow up if I tried it. So I use MrMalty yeast calculator to do it for me

Tbh, 1 teaspoonful might be too much or too little. I say this because '1 teaspoonful' can be a rather subjective amount. Is it a heaped teaspoon? or a level teaspoon? or something in between? Did a bit of googling to see if there was a standard gram weight of yeast for a teaspoonful and I got all kinds of answers

As I mentioned with the hops, any discrepancy in such a small brew length as 1G can be magnified quite a lot. As you say both underpitching and overpitching comes with there attendant problems so I think its best to be as accurate as you can with these smaller amounts. Which of course leads to the question of how do you be so accurate if you don't have the correct measuring equipment

Back