beginner needs advice on filters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frdmorley

Reaction score
Okay my very first batch of 25 litres luckily turned out great and that was more luck than judgement, one or two problems with sediment but sorted it out.
My real question relates to filtration, my first attempt was through a food grade funnel and coffee filters, these had an astronomically slow flow rate, my question is are wine filter papers any better as regards flow rate ? Or are they the same and is it therefore worth investing in a filter system, all answers welcome folks ,

The wine I made was Apple juice and white grape juice both 100% pure juice 3.5 of sugar etc, after the finings went in it cleared after three or four days, I just wanted to filter any last bits out on bottling and thought that coffee paper filters would or might do the job but they where so slow I syphoned it carefully into the bottles and really all the sediment stayed luckily in the FV however are the paper filters sold for wine any better as regards flow or are they just as slow as the paper coffee filters that I tried to use

I don't use filters, i have found that these juice wines don't make a lot of sediment so after the first rack its easy to bottle and not get sediment in them, using paper that is not made for the job could lead to off flavours in your wine.

Someone here may have used them so you may get an answer soon.

Coffee filter papers simply serve to remove the fairly coarse particles of ground coffee when hot. Wine filters use (rather expensive) pads, not papers and are generally not required for wines made from clear juices, like grape and and (most) apple. White wines clear more slowly than reds, so propriety finings, included with wine kits, are used to speed up the process. Even so, wine which is allowed to clear naturally and then sit on the the sediment for a while, preferably in an oak barrel, will taste better and will further improve after months in bottle.
However, there are occasions when a white wine remains stubbornly cloudy and requires filtration, but this is an expensive last resort and doesn't always work.

Latest posts

Back