Spray/Liquid malt, the difference?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats the difference between Dried Spray malt and Liquid Malt? Does it work out the same weight? ie: 1.5kg Dried is the same as Liquid?

I made a Wilkos Delicate Pilsner earlier in the year using one kit tin (1.5kg) 3 x 500g Light Dried Spray Malt + S-23 Yeast. Came out really nice. That worked out at 3kg in total of fermentables and I'm thinking, could I use two tins instead of using the Dried Malt? I took advantage of the Wilkos sale and now have 4 tins but a no Dried Malt.

Any advice chaps? :?:

I'm no expert but all I've read (tons, books, blogs, forum posts..) indicates that because LME contains more water you need roughly 25% more of it by weight than DME to achieve the same result.
Regards quality and which is better for brewing, the answer seeems almost universally that there will be no discernable difference in taste or behaviour with your brew whichever you use.
EDIT
Crossed posts with Brewpirate. He's way more expeienced so it's 20% more LME, not 25%.

For taste & use go with whatever is freshest, if there is no date then I personally would err on the side of DME/Spraymalt which has a better shelf life. Of course the question wasn't around cost which spraymalt costs way more (seen almost 2x more over bulk LME).

Try two tins of delicate pilsner ,lager yeast , saaz and Golding hops around 30g each dry hop , lager temps comes out amazing even green tastes OK but after a month it really changes into something special.

Latest posts

Back