Differing SG readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJC

Reaction score
I've just taken a reading from my Young's APA which has been causing me some grief recently and at first it appeared higher than the last one so I left the hygrometer in the tube for a few minutes and it slowly dropped until it read 0.10 from an initial reading of 0.25. Is this normal? Usually when I take a reading I take it from when it first goes in (making sure the foam is gone) and that's that, I never leave it in for a few minutes and then take the reading as I presumed the gravity would be the same irrespective of whether you took the reading immediately or an hour later.

CO2 bubbles in the sample can lift up the hydrometer to give you a false reading So It's always worth leaving it for a bit or you can degas the sample by getting two pint glasses and tossing the sample between the two for a bit then take the reading

Temperature can affect/give a false reading as well as getting a lot of trub/sediment mixed in with the sample

Latest posts

Back