Long overdue John Bull IPA (Plus a hello!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnsam10

Reaction score
Firstly....an apology to all on this site...I've had my brewing kit for over 2 years in the cupboard...completely boxed and never touched. It was only until my lass said to me this morning "Sam, can we chuck this out? Its been here for years!". My reply was not as tasteful! :nono:

It was then the realisation dawned that I had wasted 2 years buying beer instead of making it! :doh:

So, I dug it all out and proceeded to set it all down on the kitchen counter which did not go down well with her. I then took a trip to my local home brew shop Gardiner EK and Sons in Hull to enquire about how to go ahead.

After a chat with the woman behind the counter (If your on here, thank-you for your time, knowledge and help!) about how to proceed with my kit!

So, I had a 1.8kg of John Bull IPA, 1kg of brewing sugar, an FV, a plastic keg, some yeast and a wooden spoon. I decided to go for 20L instead of 25L (Hopefully this pays off) and have now got to wait patiently for the results!

I have also had the joy of informing the missus that she can now remove the books from the bookshelf because if all goes to plan...i will be using it as bottle storage...needless to say.. that went down a treat :grin:

I will post updates for those who are interested along with pictures when I get round to it along with the finished product (Bottled or barrelled)

If anyone also has any tips or has done this brew before, please let me know what to look out for and what readings/measurements to take to know when it is ready!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Try not to regret the wasted years life's too short and shorter every day. I've justed started drinking a barrel of this that I brewed to about 19l with 1kg of Beer kit enhancer, which is brewing sugar and spray dried malt extract, and it is a very nice pint. It's brewed out at around 6%ABV but is still very easy to drink. It has quite a yeasty aroma to start with but on tasting the first thing that hits you is hops both the bitterness and floral notes and a grapefruity citrus followed by a subtle, malty sweetness.
Things to be aware of: it took a while to brew out, 3or 4 weeks in primary and about 3 now in the keg. Most people would bottle an IPA I think, 'cause you can't get a keg in the fridge but I'm not a big fan of cold beers, especially not in winter.
As for measurements, take a hydrometer reading before you pitch the yeast. Then, leave it alone for a fortnight and take another. If it's anywhere near your target sg, I'd say anything 1012 or less take another couple of readings over consecutive days and if it's stable you can bottle or barrel. Good luck and remember cavemen did this, it's not difficult and doesn't need to be overly technical, unless you're that way inclined. Enjoy

Welcome Sam, from another Hull brewer.
I've done the john bull IPA before using just 750g brewing sugar and 250g mdme, it turned out 5% and a lovely pint. Infact i've recently bought another from Tesco while it was on offer to get on in jan.
Good luck and i look forward to your update on how the JB goes.

Hi there, my lovely mrs bought me a much wanted home brew starter kit for crimbo, first batch of woodfordes wherry on the go. Bought a John Bull IPA from Tesco yesterday ready to go as soon as my FV is free again! :) please let us know how this turns out, would be good to hear experience from a fellow newbie. happy brewing now!

Hi all,

At the moment it is still sitting pretty in the FV, it's still brewing out but I'm starting to get consecutive G readings so it's coming close.

I will update with pics of the brew soon.

Thanks

Hi burnsam10 just wondered how this was going? My John Bull had a nice high start OG 1.52 (about 18l and 1kg coopers brew enhancer 2) now sitting in the FV for 3rd week at 1.16. Really been slow due to the cold weather I think, can't see me getting much below 1.10. I'm also wondering what the yeast was like being tesco maybe sat on the shelf longer. How urs going?

Latest posts

Back