Complete newbie witha question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t25vanman

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I am a complete novice and recently bought a wilko's kit of bucket,barrel,spoon and tube.I brewed a tom caxton lager which smelt fantastic but tasted flat and last night while pouring a pint i heard air entering through the lid of the barrel via that rubbery thing in the middle of the cap.Should this be happening and is this why my beer is flat.
thanks.

That is not good, but its a damn sight better than the glug of death that results from bubbles of air getting sucked back up through the tap when a pressure barrel looses its internal positive pressure, that will oxidise the beer guaranteed giving you a few days to sup it all at best.

at least you know know why the beer was flat, the lid didnt seal properly ;)

gently remove the lid and pour in a new priming solution with 40-80g of sugar in it boil it and cool first to sanitise it.. then reseal the lid, dont disturb or stir the beer at all as the barrel is now is full of air not co2 so oxidation is still a risk..

with luck you have escaped oxidation, and the new priming solution will both recondition the beer and repressurise so the lighter oxygen carrying air will end up sat ontop of a co2 blanket protecting the beer again.. so in a few more weeks you can sup the beer again.

a co2 injection system s30 or diddy bulbs will help with future batches, the rate of condition and pressure retention with a pb is very dynamic even with a pressure retaining lid ;)

dont overtighten the lid it can deform the oring and pop it out of its seat, u can rejuvinate a squashed oring in a bowl of boiling water, -- a smear of vasaline on the lid thread also helps seal and if still leaking try a few wraps of ptfe tape round the seal rim...

good luck

Back