Adding Wine Flavouring to ca Sauvinion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torvil

Reaction score
Oh dear after just posting a thread regarding stuck gravity I went to read the instructions for the wine kit before posting. I am brewiwing two Wilko kits a blackberry Wine and a cab Sauvinion. The cab comes with a wine floavouring sachet which is supposed to be added after fermentation stage.
I have dropped a clanger and only gone and added the flavouring from the Cab Sauvinion's kit to the blackberry wine which has finished fermenting.
My question will this effect or ruin the floavouring of the Blackberry kit if it wasn't supplied with one, and can I use a substitute when the Cab Sauvinion's FG finally drops in place of the Wine Flavouring?

I have removed your email address from the post, i don't know if you added it by mistake.

There is no way of knowing if the wine will be ruined until lts finished but I would imagine it'll be drinkable.

If you email the kit maker and tell them the sachet of flavour was missing they will send you another, rhis happened to me recently, it arrived first class with no charge.

The formulation of flavouring packs are trade secrets, but they must at least list the contents, if not the proportions. If a classic wine label refers to 'cherry notes', 'hints of vanilla', 'liquorice' and so on, such flavours are readily available to add, although 'slate', 'petrol' and 'leather' should be used with caution, especially the latter. A highly valued resource for tanning leather was known as 'pure'. This was in fact dog ****, and people made a good living collecting the stuff for the leather industry. My mother loved the smell of petrol and ate coal when pregnant. There is a mineral connection there, and carbon is used to filter wine. I think there is scope for adding slate and or flint chips and I have used cooked chicken bones to add 'body' at the fermentation stage. I have eye witness reports of horses legs added to make Chilean red wine too! Rats falling into brewing vats is common, or used to be. When harvesting grapes I have found spiders, earwigs, woodlice and grubs trying to escape. I'm sure many didn't make it! Inept grape pickers cut themselves in the process and some have been known to lose fingers.

The formulation of flavouring packs are trade secrets, but they must at least list the contents, if not the proportions. If a classic wine label refers to 'cherry notes', 'hints of vanilla', 'liquorice' and so on, such flavours are readily available to add, although 'slate', 'petrol' and 'leather' should be used with caution, especially the latter. A highly valued resource for tanning leather was known as 'pure'. This was in fact dog ****, and people made a good living collecting the stuff for the leather industry. My mother loved the smell of petrol and ate coal when pregnant. There is a mineral connection there, and carbon is used to filter wine. I think there is scope for adding slate and or flint chips and I have used cooked chicken bones to add 'body' at the fermentation stage. I have eye witness reports of horses legs added to make Chilean red wine too! Rats falling into brewing vats is common, or used to be. When harvesting grapes I have found spiders, earwigs, woodlice and grubs trying to escape. I'm sure many didn't make it! Inept grape pickers cut themselves in the process and some have been known to lose fingers.

LOVE this post - it's like Halloween! Sweeney Tossy Red!

Latest posts

Back