Geordie Lager hasn't quite turned out right

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerosam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my first crack at a lager kit, and I used Geordie lager and coopers brew enhancer. I bottled it 4 weeks ago and have tasted a couple of the smaller bottles and it tastes overwhelmingly malty, so much so I dont know if I can actually face drinking any more.

I've been back over the method and the only thing I slightly erred on was that I put it straight into a cool (not cold) garage after bottling. The three bottles Ive opened have all had a bit of fizz to them so I am guessing that I did achieve secondary fermentation?

Anything I can do to remedy this stuff cos if not i'll probably just throw it all away.

Thanks!

Coopers make two different enhancers, BKE 1 And BKE 2. I forget now which is which, but one is formulated for ales and darker beers, the other more suited to light beers and lagers. Did you use the right one?
Cool conditioning as opposed to cold will likely have a limited effect on your kit lager, if any.
""A bit of fizz" is too vague for me to advise re the carbonation. Did you add priming sugar? Or carb drops? How much? Were the bottles 100% sealed?
And no, AFAIK, there's nothing you can now do at this stage to change your beer to be more to your taste (apart from adding lemonade and enjoying a cold shandy this summer).
I'm still newish to this homebrew malarkey myself so it's possible someone may correct me on that but, from all I've read, I think you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. Sorry not to be able to give an answer you'd be happier with.
Learn from this brew and determine that the next will be an improvement.

You can dry hop your beer after you've poured it!

This guy is based in Huddersfield and makes these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189313252/dry-hopping-kit-saaz-hops-3-pack-beer?ref=shop_home_active_10&ulsfg=true

This one is with Saaz hols which should be good for balancing your malty lager.

I would imagine you could use the refils to see what hops float you boat using a plain old cheap pale ale or lager kit. Then you can order the hops you like in 100 gm vacuum sealed bags from online shops like The Malt Miller.

Nothing to lose!

Coopers make two different enhancers, BKE 1 And BKE 2. I forget now which is which, but one is formulated for ales and darker beers, the other more suited to light beers and lagers. Did you use the right one?
Cool conditioning as opposed to cold will likely have a limited effect on your kit lager, if any.
""A bit of fizz" is too vague for me to advise re the carbonation. Did you add priming sugar? Or carb drops? How much? Were the bottles 100% sealed?
And no, AFAIK, there's nothing you can now do at this stage to change your beer to be more to your taste (apart from adding lemonade and enjoying a cold shandy this summer).
I'm still newish to this homebrew malarkey myself so it's possible someone may correct me on that but, from all I've read, I think you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. Sorry not to be able to give an answer you'd be happier with.
Learn from this brew and determine that the next will be an improvement.

Thanks for the replies, I used cooper enhancer 2, I think it said on the pack that it was suited to lagers. In terms of carbonation, it is comparable to say Budweiser bottles, fizzes nicely when poured into a glass but not overly so to form a massive head and climb out of the glass. I used granulated sugar to prime the bottles and used new caps and a hand capper to seal them.

I'll probably give a few bottles away to see if any of my mates like it, if they do they can have the lot.

Never mind, try again!

Latest posts

Back