Milestone Lion's Pride Kit Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure whether I should be surprised or concerned that there isn't a kit review for this one!

Hadn't intended to go for this one, but SWMBO had a voucher for Lakeland, and it was either this or St Peters Ruby (stock levels in store were low). I'm drinking St Peter's Ruby at the moment (and loving it), so I went for a change.

With the voucher the ticket for £23.49 came down to £18.49.

Although branded Milestone, the correspondence address on the kit is Muntons - so I guess this is really a Muntons Kit.

Straightforward 2 can kit really. The instructions I would rate as 'excellent' with a couple of nice touches I hadn't noticed elsewhere:

- sterilise can surfaces and can opener
- check temperature when FV has 20ltr in and adjust with hot or cold

At this time of year our house is around 18 degrees, so to get it going I pitched yeast bang on 25 degrees. The lid on the FV was doming and releasing within the first 6 hours.

Prior to casting yeast, initial OG was right on the given 1040.

I intend to give 3 weeks in FV, check FG is around 1009, bottle in PET and then condition for 5 weeks.

Anyone else done this one before?

Cheers

Martin

This was my 1st brew as it came with my top tap King Keg starter kit.

Mine started at 1040 and took 21 days to ferment out and reached 1012 and wouldn't go any lower - giving 4.1% ABV.

Primed with just over 80g of tate and lyle sugar for 22l of beer was about right for carbonation.

I made a few minor errors as it was my 1st brew but after 2 weeks warm in the keg then 2 weeks cold in the garage this was a very drinkable pint - and very clear from the top tap keg, similar to a Wherry really, nice copper ale.

I am moving on to doing some paler ales so no plans to try this one again at the moment but it was a decent pint.

OK, bottled at 1010. Been conditioning for 1 week and some carbonation has occurred by the feel of the bottle.

I know it is far too early...but I cracked one tonight.

Clear, bright, malty. Head doesn't last, not very sparkly.

Clean taste, enjoyable. Can only improve.

image.jpg

Looking good Martin, from the photo looks very clear - carbonation, head retention and flavour should all improve dramatically with longer in the bottle.

Read a few times on here that a lot of problems with head retention are caused by washing the beer glass in washing up liquid which kills head retention, and the washing up liquid is very hard to rinse away prior to pouring beer into the glass.

Just a thought really.

Anyway, your beer is looking good. What you brewing next ?

Thanks for that.

Not sure what to do next:

Got a coopers stout tin on the shelf - I fancy doing that with some Malvern Spring Water (I'm driving out that way next week).

I'm itching to try some Turbo Cider

Also fancy trying a first extract kit - Bellhaven Mild (just ordered, in the post)

Decisions, decisions!

I've just bought one of these. It will be my first kit in a few months as I started off doing a few which I have been working my way through. I should finish my current brews in about a month so now hae enough bottels to start another and will do another kit or two over the next month or two.

I want to aask those who have done this kit what differene a bit longer in the bottle made. I'm thinking of adding a few ot my Christmas supply and wondering how 3-4 months would improve it. Also any tips on improving this kit.Im considering adding some golden syrup I have in the kitchen to boost the OG

Hi Ale,

I drank my last bottle of this last night. I can't lie. It's not my favourite kit

When the lads came round, there were few takers for it against Coopers Cerveza + Harvest Stout + Festival Golden Stagg.....

I would say that I didn't treat the water - something that I now do (or use Lidl bottled).

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers

Martin

Also any tips on improving this kit.Im considering adding some golden syrup I have in the kitchen to boost the OG

Might make a bit of a difference, but you're likely to get better results by changing the yeast and/or hopping. My first step would be to change the yeast, use Nottingham or Safale S04. Then either dry hop or make a hope tea to give the brew some flavour.

Many of us started out with these 2-can kits, they are good for what they are (first step on the rung to making beer) but don't produce the most flavoursome pint.

Latest posts

Back