Hello from Wolverhampton :o)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtobrew2015

Reaction score
Hi, I've just been bought my first homebrew kit for christmas so thought I'd better get some info on where to start.. I've found lots of information in the How to area of the forum so would like to say thankyou to all that have posted on there. :hat:
John.

Hi John,

New to the forum as well this year. I too got homebrewing equipment for christmas, so its been an interesting couple of weeks reading and having my first brew on! Have you decided what you're going to brew up first? I've already planned my next 3....welcome to the addiction!

Regards
Rick

Thanks for the welcome. First brew is Tom caxtons real ale.. If that turns out to be drinkable I'll do another one then maybe a Woodfords wherry?
One step at a time though. This is a fast learning curve.

The Wherry is what I started with, couldn't be easier to do...apart from the waiting haha. Patience is definitely a virtue when undertaking brewing, and the guys on here have been more than helpful when asking questions or giving advice.

I've not read in to the Tom Caxton ale, is that a one or two can kit? Either way, I hope it turns out well for you. Have to keep us all updated on your progress!

Tom caxton is a one can kit, I hope it tastes as good as it looks..It's a lovely colour. Just a trace of sediment in the bottom of the bottles though?

There will be sediment, from what I've read, as when you condition in the bottles and the beer clears the sediment drops to the bottom. Just decant in to a jug or glass and leave the sediment in the bottom of the bottle. It won't do you any harm obviously, but better to leave it in the bottle and wash it out ready for re-use :p

Hi rick,
I'm not over worried about the sediment. It is slight.
The brewing instructions in the kit said ferment for 4-6 days then bottle..I left it for seven days but next time I might leave it a little bit longer to settle. I also used demerara sugar when bottling on most but experimented with muscovado sugar on a couple of bottles.
Just waiting now.. Must buy another kit :p

Ahh sounds good to me, a lot of the guys on here recommend 2 weeks in the FV before bottling or moving to a keg but I'm sure its done no harm bottling after a week. Just a waiting game now!

I kegged my Wherry yesterday, and after cleaning everything I thought bugger it and immediately got my Cerveza on! This is the only problem when first starting out, not having a reserve built up to get you through the periods of no brew ready to drink. Hopefully the next few months will give me enough to be drinking while I continue to do more :) Have my eyes on a few kits/experiments I'd like to try already. Just have to start harassing the local pubs/friends for their empty bottles as I'm sure it'll be cheaper than buying all the plastic PET bottles.

I'm about to start a Coopers dark ale.. I wish I had started it straight away like you Rick.. Having to clean everything again.
I also bought a second keg :D

I'm drinking my first ever brew.. If I was served and paid for this pint in a pub I would be very happy :cheers:

Very soon I'll have another and I'm sure I'll be even happier.

Lovely job! I've had a couple of cheeky tries of the Wherry so far, shaping up to be a lovely pint! Just waiting till next weekend when the old man is down and we're going to have a session.

Means I'll have to get the cerveza bottled asap if we're going to have a try of that as well

Latest posts

Back