Strongbow cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seez

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I would like to make a regular apple turbo cider, I have 4 litres of cheapo apple juice (100% from concentrate). I would like to make it to a similar taste/dryness to Strongbow.

Does anybody have any recipes please ?

Thanks all

Seez

Yep, chuck the cheapo juice and squeeze some cider apples instead... ;)

Apple juice for drinking is made from dessert apples so lacks that "bite" you get from cider apples... the sweetness (sugar) is eatem by the yeast though, so tc always turns out dry, or very dry!

To compensate tc recipes add tannin, pectolase and malic acid....

Ive brewed 69 litres now of tc. Its nice, but its not quite strongbow. Would be interesting to see if anyone knows how to add in that twang?

Thanks for the reply Wolf would be interesting to see if it is possible with juice rather than apples.

And me! Anyone got anymore tips for getting the supermarket cider taste at home?
(And don't say buy some! )

Squeezing enough apples is going to take ages and would require an expensive press, if you don't want to still be doing it this time next year!

Apple juice is the way to go. I think strongbow tastes a bit chemically, and shop cider in general tastes too sweet. But if that's the taste you're going for I'd add tannin as Wolfracer says, either in powder form or by adding some strong tea, and add some non fermentable sweetener like splenda when you're bottling, or maybe some flavoured syrup

Can't believe someone wants to emulate Strongbow. It's a bit like someone wanting to emulate 'Cheesy Pasta' when there's so much home made Macaroni recipes out there... (John Palmer analogy)

You won't be disappointed using the apple juice, a good yeast will get it dry. I've used Lalvin EC-1118 for a good, strong, dry strawberry TC in the past. Lovely....

You could always add a bit of Robinsons sugar free diluting apple (contains real apple) to add a bit of sweetness at the end.

Tbh though, if Strongbow is your thing, you'll probably buy it cheaper somewhere than you can make it :sad:

Edit: If you're a real cider fan, try some Aspall's. Yes it's expensive but this is what you'll want to aspire too... best cider I ever tasted, massive difference.

Can't believe someone wants to emulate Strongbow. It's a bit like someone wanting to emulate 'Cheesy Pasta' when there's so much home made Macaroni recipes out there... (John Palmer analogy)

You won't be disappointed using the apple juice, a good yeast will get it dry. I've used Lalvin EC-1118 for a good, strong, dry strawberry TC in the past. Lovely....

You could always add a bit of Robinsons sugar free diluting apple (contains real apple) to add a bit of sweetness at the end.

Tbh though, if Strongbow is your thing, you'll probably buy it cheaper somewhere than you can make it :sad:

Its the making it bb thats almost as good as :drink: it

I once had a couple of litres of farm 'Cidre' when we were camping with our lads in Normandy in the 1990s. I'd love to make that but for some reason, I can't recall what it tasted like with any clarity. I bought it from the farmer and drank it under his apple trees while lying about, half in and half out of a tent. Wife said I was a drunken good for nothing and that the boys were running wild and driving her mad while I was snoring in the sunshine. :)

What I do remember was that there was a lump of apple in it, and that it tasted nice and had a kick like a mule. They make a spirit out of cider there called Calvados.

I made cider last summer with 20L of asda smart price apple juice and cider yeast and thought it tasted alot like strongbow.

Latest posts

Back