Bottle Labels.. I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpydev

Reaction score
Seeing as I'm too full of man flu for the brew I wanted to do this weekend I thought I'd spend a bit of time on labels. I intend to give some of each batch I do away to get other people's opinions, and to try and get other people involved (already got one guy in work buying a starter kit!), so I wanted the bottles to look good, while also being able to trace back what's what to my journal.

Layout in Publisher, logo and image in Illustrator - what do other people use to make theirs? Anyone want to post some of theirs up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't thought about labelling my brew (it's mine I tells ya, all mine!) but that website is fun to play around with. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just print mine on my colour laser, 4 to a sheet, chop em up with the guillotine, then stick them on with milk.. proper Blue Peter style ;)

That's pretty cool, mine are just the kit name and date. Once I get my brews up to a decent standard I'll look at doing nice labels although I don't like the idea of having to clean up my bottles properly. :lol:

That's pretty cool, mine are just the kit name and date. Once I get my brews up to a decent standard I'll look at doing nice labels although I don't like the idea of having to clean up my bottles properly. :lol:

At least if you put them on with milk they wash off easily, although getting the original labels off can be a right chore :)

Good idea with the milk. I labled my second ever batch with avery self adhesive labels. A year later they are still intact!
I now just use a sharpie on the cap.
I've just bottle C (cider) 4 (batch count)
W (wherry) 9 and WC1 (Wherry with Citra hops)
NOG
WCas (wherry with cascade hops)
AR1 (admirals reserve)
CV (cerveza)
Etc...
Its quite easy to id anything with 3 or 4 letters/numbers. And you dont have tp clean up afterwards...

At least if you put them on with milk they wash off easily, although getting the original labels off can be a right chore :)

Soak the bottles in hot soapy water - that should get the original labels off. Mix together equal amounts of baking soda and cooking oil – for one bottle a tablespoon of each will be plenty. Rub the mixture all over the glue. Leave for about 30 minutes. Rub with an abrasive pad (I use steel wool). Wash really well with soap and water.

Haven't got a printer so used a rubber stamp printing kit

It's a play on my surname Beech and the Miles Davis Album

WP_20150125_18_54_46_Smart.jpg

Mine's only a pimped kit brew but after the sample tasting I've thought of a suitable name:

"Barking Moonbat IPA". :drunk:

I just cut them out with scissors, I made sure that the actual colour was wider than where i was cutting so I didn't need to be exact for them to look nice.

I just cut them out with scissors, I made sure that the actual colour was wider than where i was cutting so I didn't need to be exact for them to look nice.

That takes some patience.. I get pretty bored just doing them all with a guillotine :lol:

i just use little removable labels. i get 40 labels per sheet and i run them through the printer. i put the name of the beer, how long in the fermenter. bottle date and abv on there.

I use sticky labels and as i don't give my wine away just write what it is and when it was bottled on the label with a pen. (cheapskate) :lol:

Soak the bottles in hot soapy water - that should get the original labels off. Mix together equal amounts of baking soda and cooking oil for one bottle a tablespoon of each will be plenty. Rub the mixture all over the glue. Leave for about 30 minutes. Rub with an abrasive pad (I use steel wool). Wash really well with soap and water.

Really impressed with this method. I used it to clean ofs some stubborn glue residue from several of my bottles. Worked like a charm. My bottles are now pristine. I will be using this method from now on instead of oxiclean :thumb:

Latest posts

Back