Moving on to extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunglebrewsbeer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Currently sourcing pans burners coolers and all rather exciting. I'm more a fan of traditional English milds and more full bodied malty bitters than the current what seem to be trendy Amber coloured American style IPA. Wondering if anyone has a few good malt extract recipes that may suit and an overview of a brew schedule. I've acquired one for a lees bitter clone that I'm looking forward to trying.

I would recommend using a recipe that includes some steeping grains. Use a pale extract.

Put your steeping grains in a grain bag in about ten litres water or more, if you can, and raise the heat. Remove the bag at about 80C. Grains need to be steeping for 20-30 mins so turn heat off if you get to 80 quicker than this. Add about half your extract while the heat is off and stir in thoroughly. Raise to boiling, then add bittering hops. Boil one hour, adding hops at times indicated by recipe. Switch off, cool a little ( to 80-90C) and then stir in remaining extract and any steeping hops. These are usually shown as 0 minutes in a recipe.

Transfer to FV, top up, cool to about 20C, take hydrometer reading and pitch yeast.

I am too about to move on to my first extract

I have gone with a simple recipe which is slightly similar to an old speckled hen clone someone came up with but for me its just a starting point and something to aim for

I am going

2.2 KG DME (maybe 2.5 yet)
500 grams Light Crystal malt (going to steep for 20-30 mins before bringing up to boil)
350 Gr Dextrose

Now the hop additions

Challenger 60 mins (40gr)
challenger and goldings 15 mins (10 each)

Irish moss also at 15 mins

Goldings flame out (40gr)

I have a 16 litre pot and the Qty of hops I am unsure of yet because I know there will be some dilution. what I was going to do was only add 1KG of the DME at the start of the boil and add the remainder at the end .

I was going to get Nottingham yeast but they were sold out so I went for Safale US05

Yes flame out out means after turning heat off. Then steep for about 30 mins in hot wort.

Sorted. This forum is bloody good. Learning much. And looking forward getting my kit on the go. Was going to get a 50L pan. As wanting to do BIAB in time. Is that to big or do you think I'm better off getting s smaller pan to start with?

If you want to do 23 litre BIAB then 50 litre is probably a good idea. It's not my bag though, pardon the pun. I have a coolbox mashtun which a mate converted for me at minimal cost and it means I don't have to lift or handle a huge bag of boiling hot grain etc. I do small batches with a grain bag in a pot, wouldn't want to go bigger, but many people do it very happily. Would you buy a gas burner? Will your stove boil 27 litres of wort?

I've been pointed in direction of malt Miller for a burner. I've a wok ring on my stove but unsure if it would reach desired boil at present.

Ahh, step into my office Bungle.

I have very similar tastes to you. I love mild and malty bitter. I can highly recommend Graham Wheelers brew your own British Real Ale as it has over 100 receipes most of them Mild's and Bitter's with the receipes in both AG and a coresponding extract version.

If and when you start BIAB check out this mother load for a Mild recipe list:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56335

I'm sure if you google enough you'll be able to find out how to convert the recipes from AG to extract

Most of them don't seem to have hops schedules. I'd just use my favourite hops for between 21-25 IBU and use a simple schedule (all of the hop schedules in GW book use this schedule or 60/10/flameout/dryhop or some combination of) of 60 min addition and a 10 min addition

a Quick question.. when I flame out and add teh final hops.. I was going to leave all the hops in there (they will be in muslin hop bags) while the wort chills in my ice bath which ill do in my sink. Then rack the beer out of the pot into the FV leaving all behind..

If I was going to split adding the DME, could I also add this at flame out and stir in? I don't suppose that really matters but little details and all that.

Cheers

Yes you could.

AG recipes can be converted to extract by replacing the base malts with pale extract. As long as there aren't other grains which need mashing, like wheat, Munich etc. You need AG recipes which use just base malt or base malt plus steeping grains like crystal, caramalt, chocolate, black malt, roast barley.

:p

One step at a time. Making extract beers is easy. Just find a straightforward extract recipe and make it, it's not much more involved than making a kit. Gradually learn new things.

And another question... When I start this extract brew when pan arrives in a week or two. I'm going to be steeping grains as part of this epic brew I plan to start. What size bag would you recommend for putting these grains in?

Anything that fits in the pan and is big enough to hold the grains with plenty of space.

Back