Should I use Irish moss in extract brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing only extract brews and not kits from now on as I enjoy the extract process much more. Ok it's not from scratch but there's a sense of having created something myself.

Anyhow, should I be using Irish moss with extract brews? Wheelers book suggest so but I wasn't sure if it was as big a deal for extract as AG.

I'm sure one of you more experienced folk out there will know though?

I would use it if you're steeping grains, less necessary if you're doing an extract only brew, but it may still help and won't do any harm.

All depends if your boiling for a hot break afaik its the hot break that the irish moss and protofloc will clump/gel up..

If your not boiling for a hot break then there would be little point.

So if doing a full boil Yes, but if only heating up the liquor to steep grains and adding hops via a tea and aroma infusion No..

As the kits using LME rarely ask for a boil these days i wonder if the unhopped LME is the same, I would ask your HBS bod or where you source the lme from.

DME does respond to a boil with a hot break, i have witnessed it in prepping a dme solution for yeast slants..
14443567356_e8cf0af6c4.jpg
a 1040 solution boiled/simmered over a minimal heat with an enclosing foil cap to contain evaporation, and after about 45minutes.. clumpy hot break clouds forming,,

Thanks folks

Don't think my crappy cooker will boil hard enough for the break. It didn't on my way to Amarillo anyway, which doesn't seems to have suffered too much (though maybe it would have been even better, who knows?).

Had to postpone my London pride extract brew day (ordered a thermometer which didn't work, grr) which will involve steeping a small amount of grain so I might see if I can get some moss before next weekend. Like you say, can't hurt and might help.

Latest posts

Back