Youngs American Oaked Rum Ale Beer Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tefkab

Reaction score
Anyone made this yet? Sounds great and strong too! Obviously the taste is more important tho lol

I've got one in the PB at the moment. Tastes really good so far, its a bit sweet at the moment as its not fully conditioned, a bit like rum and coke! It's going to be interesting, mine's worked out to be 6.8%. it hides the alcohol quite well though, its not unpleasant at all. Typical good quality Young's kit.

When i did this kit it turned out rancid, really horrible winey taste to it. I have had mt LHBS send a bottle away to see if it was anything to do with the kit or my methods. It put me off making another.q
I was hoping the outcome would be similar to innis&gunn but what i ended up with was horse ***t

I have this kit, ready and waiting for the end of dry January, tried a bottle at 5 weeks (new years day), very, very strong rum taste to it, and not a lot of carbonation or head retention. Will be around 10 weeks in the bottle when i next have a go, i'm seriously hoping for improvement......

"I WOULD GIVE UP BEER, BUT I'M NO QUITTER" :cheers:

Not sounding to good :wha: i have one in my fv at the moment so wont be able to coment for some time.......

Mine is fizzy as anything, the pb has ballooned. Poured half a pint tonight, I think when the flavours have mellowed out a bit it will be nice.

Mixed reports clearly! I've bottled it (no pun intended) and gone for the Youngs American IPA. Be nice to hear who you all get on with it though.

Right....it started of at 1060 and now its down to 1012 so its nearly ready to barrel :tongue:. but there is quite a bit of the wood chips floating around in there.....is this normal....will it clear...or do i have to fillter it.....
Tastes like its going in the right direction tho.....:pray:

Mine all sank to the bottom. The trub was very compacted which allowed me to syphon off virtually all the liquid.

Nice layer of krausen this evening and it smells fantastic. I'm hoping this one doesn't ferment as vigorously as the youngs American ipa, that one made a right mess.

Moved a couple a bottles into the warm kitchen yesterday morning (shed still very cold), cracked them open last night, very, very much improved, much better head retention, and the rum taste faded to leave a real nice pint, Must be 12 weeks or so in the bottle, looks like being a long one, but well worth the wait.......would recommend consuming at room temp, makes all the difference.

I would say you're right, given the high alcohol content this needs a long time to condition. Mine has been a month and it's still got some strong flavours that I'd prefer mellowed out a bit. Going to leave this one for a couple of months I think

Tasting good at 12 weeks (in the bottle), i reckon 14-16 weeks will be a real winner, best get another one on i reckon.......
:electric:

Latest posts

Back