The other halves

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok. It can't go on any longer. Let's get this out in the open.

By and large, it seems to me that our good ladies; wives, girlfriends etc, don't fully appreciate our wonderful hobby.

What's the issue here?

Is it the 'smell' of brew day? The space our beloved ales occupy? 40+ bottles in the bath? Sinks full of star San? The fact we pay more attention to yeast than we do to them?

So, i propose an 'objection handler'. Let's find the most common objections the ladies have, and the best possible responses.

Go.

Surely that could apply to the effect of any beer, not just the home brewed stuff?

Farting has to be the #1 cause of complaints, i think the fact we tend to smile after is what tends to upset em, or have i just failed to let the training take???

At the moment the only one moan was when i was capping a bottle in the back room and it smashed soaking the floor with a lovely aroma :)

I only make wine and we both like it so no objection there, the only thing she moans about is the state I leave the kitchen in, I guess most of us get that one.

I'm thankfully able to have everything in my brew-garage and I 'close' the kitchen for a night (buy a take-away!) on brew day. Only moan I get is the smell of brew day wafting through the house.

My missus doesn't say a word even though I've taken over the garage. Mind you, it's her own fault cos she bought me a starter kit for my birthday. I think she might secretly regret it tho. :lol:

I think mine mostly objects to the fact that I spend more time on the forum than talking to her!

Well, at the moment I've only had one complaint. Headaches..

I've had no complaints over the additional kitchen units I installed in the dining room along with built in fridge freezer and under counter freezer for the 40 demijohns, 2 buckets, 60 wine bottles and 45 beer bottles though. The collection is still growing too..

No issues here as I always leave the kitchen immaculate - but I do that when I'm cooking too. But she can't stand the smell of the malt or hops during the boil so she stays well away from the kitchen. Doesn't help that the cooker hood has just thrown a six - need to get that fixed ASAP.

My other have is very good.

At the end of the brewday / bottling she knows the kitchen is super clean and sanitized. Sanitizing fits in nice with my CDO. :roll: She used to make wine when living at home with her parents so understands the challenges.

She'd not to keen on the bottles staying indoors for carbonation though.

Speaking of which - it's galaxy hop2 bottling day! - gotta go!

All similar beefs then. I guess I can't complain too much. My missus even said she thought my way to Amarillo was nice, and she's pretty much teetotal. It is nice though, in fairness, v pleased.

D-o-j is your galaxy AG or extract?

I like the idea of single hop brews as you get to know what hops you like. I was in Amsterdam the other day (work sadly), and was drinking swinckels which is a lager single hopped with cascade. It was amazing, hoppiest lager I've ever had. Got me thinking about a brew using it.

No problems here. I ferment in the airing cupboard and didn't even get a moan when a demijohn of sloe wine blew out the airlock soaking all the duvets and blankets stored in the bottom of the cupboard...

Just the time I spend on the internet I think! Otherwise very supportive. I've promised to make some gluten free beer as she is gluten intolerant.

All similar beefs then. I guess I can't complain too much. My missus even said she thought my way to Amarillo was nice, and she's pretty much teetotal. It is nice though, in fairness, v pleased.

D-o-j is your galaxy AG or extract?

I like the idea of single hop brews as you get to know what hops you like. I was in Amsterdam the other day (work sadly), and was drinking swinckels which is a lager single hopped with cascade. It was amazing, hoppiest lager I've ever had. Got me thinking about a brew using it.

Tis extract, muntons dme dark 1.5kg , 1kg candi sugar dark and 1kg dextrose.
have to say galaxy hops are super, the citra hops added a slight woody taste. not a bad taste but I was looking for 100% tropical fruit bomb.

Latest posts

Back