Cleaning Scavenged Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I am currently replacing all my Coopers PET bottles with glass ones.

I put the glass bottles in a builders trugg will oxi clean to remove the lables and give them a bit of a clean. But now I have oxiclean residue on the inside of the bottles (also had it on the outside but gave them all a wipe with a damp cloth) despite rinsing with water.

How do other people get the lables off of scavenged bottles and will I be on the front of the Sun newspaper having been dubbed 'THE PECKHAM POISONER!' having poisoned everyone I have given a sample of my beer with oxiclean residue? :?

Myqul - how long did you leave them in there? I've not had this happen. What sort of dilution did you use?

Myqul - how long did you leave them in there? I've not had this happen. What sort of dilution did you use?

^ You took the words out of my mouth.

I recently cleaned and de-labelled 45 bottles (in batches of 15) using an Oxi cleaner (Wizz Oxi) and the bottles look almost brand new with no staining or residue.

I soaked them in hot water (from tap not kettle) and roughly 2 heaped teaspoons of Oxi per 3 gallons of water for 5 hours.

I soaked them in hot water (from tap not kettle) and roughly 2 heaped teaspoons of Oxi per 3 gallons of water for 5 hours.

By the sounds of the amounts you used Brewski I waaay overdid it with the oxiclean- one scoop is 30g and I used 3

What do you guys reckon? Resoak em all in just hot water?

Yeah I use less than a full scoop in about 20L. I don't think you need much of the stuff. No idea how to get rid of it. How do they look, is there a powder coating on them?

I agree, you didn't over-do the time so I suppose it must be due to using too much Oxi. I remember reading somewhere when doing my research that a quick rinse with Starsan solution will get rid of any residue. Have you got some to try? (I imagine you'll only need a small amount as you'll be able to re-use it.)

Edit: found it! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/cleaning-bottles-oxi-clean-152440/

Get a bottle brush and use in a cordless drill.

I soak in oxi (2 small scoops / ~30 litres water) for up to a week. Labels and gum/glue fall off, no crystals to be seen.

I then rinse twice quickly with hot water (quarter fill - good shake), next half fill the bottle, give it laldy with the bottle brush / cordless drill, drain, final rinse, scoot or three with star san from a spray bottle, then upside down on a home made bottle drainer to dry.

Sounds time consuming but I do each stage 6 bottles at a time i.e. once you pick up the drill, you're blasting 6 bottles before you put it back down.

Really quite quick overall...

Needless to say, bottles are gleaming inside and out :D

Heh, I have a very thorough rinsing routine too. Honestly, it makes the severest OCD look sloppy. :geek:

^ You took the words out of my mouth.

I recently cleaned and de-labelled 45 bottles (in batches of 15) using an Oxi cleaner (Wizz Oxi) and the bottles look almost brand new with no staining or residue.

Is wizz oxi the stuff you can pick up in a supermarket for a couple of quid? Advertised as a stain remover?

I use oxi clean from Tesco all the time I soak the bottles in a bath of hot water overnight then rinse them out with cold water then into the dishwasher on the eleven minute cycle with no tablet then straight to bottling and never had any problem :drink:

Latest posts

Back