First brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkin71

Reaction score
Did my first brew yesterday. Dasher the flasher. The smell was unlike anything I have ever smelt before. A sense of hmm nice mixed with a few pfff. Smell was nice but very over powering. Messed it up a little, but I knew I would.

Nothing major just made it too hot. Let it sit for a while until it got to the correct temp. Woke up this morning to what I think was a blow off, it was bubling like mad and if touched it would go mental. All the star san was to one side.

I just removed it and loosen the cap on the fermenter. It's all good now, it's not bubling at all now but I'm not concerned. Got a steady 21 temp.

I'm not sure if the wideneck has sealed fully. Seems to have a slight kink,in the cap. Can't see it being an issue though as it has a o ring at the top.

Hopefully it turns out ok. If not its fine. Trial and error.

If you sanitise everything well, keep it shut and keep that temperature steady, I'm sure it'll all be fine.

It bubbling like mad will have been a good sign. Had any of the beer came into the airlock?

No beer. Just star san over flowing. Still no bubbles since.I'm not concerned, maybe in a few days but not now. I can always try pitching some more yeast at a later date if it's an issue.

Replaced the lid with a spare one, so that problem is sorted.

Temp is still the same as I'm using a fish tank style food safe heater.

It's all fun and games.

Sounds like it'll probably be fine. Was there a layer of wierd looking bubbly stuff (krausen) on the top of the beer when you changed the lid?

Give it a week and taken a hydrometer reading, that's the only accurate way to see if fermentation is going on.

Sounds like it'll probably be fine. Was there a layer of wierd looking bubbly stuff (krausen) on the top of the beer when you changed the lid?

Give it a week and taken a hydrometer reading, that's the only accurate way to see if fermentation is going on.

It did the same thing again last night lol

Maybe I have it too tight. Just going to leave what's in the bong style air lock. That way it can't overflow.

Pulled out the bung,had a quick look. Definitely some activity. Foaming a fair amount. Doesn't smell nice, but I didn't think it would smell like a vanilla latte.

Got a mash tun today for £58 so something great today.

Update.

Nearly a week and no action in the airlock. no concerns though, yeast has done its job. Got my ring, went from a stink to that beer smell. Small layer of yeast on the bottom. Had a smell just now and has that beer smell.

I will keep it in for another week and move on to the wheat beer

Do any of you have any recommendations as to whether to keg or bottle Flasher the Dasher?
Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back