Nelsons Revenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
This is my 3rd kit beer.

Hydrated my yeast and proved it with a teaspoon of sugar.
Pitched at 23 degrees C, and Wow vigorous fermentation!

My first two kits were wherry and ruby red have been ok but the fermentation seemed a bit sluggish and it took forever for both to get below 1013. Still the end result was good for the wherry and OK for the Ruby.
So after trawling through this forum I hydrated my yeast and hey presto.The lid on the fermentor is proper bulging!:-P

As soon as the Nelsons Revenge has fermented I plan to start a Rosemary and Bayleaf ale on the lees, any advise greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

Final gravity 1008.
Just bottled it, had a little taste.
I know its young but there is a strong hop:confused: and bitter taste. Not sure if there is an off flavor going on.

This has been in the bottle now for 2 weeks and I have to say the samples last night are very good!

Still taste strong hops but I am sure that will calm down after another couple of weeks in the bottle.

I would consider brewing this again.

This has been in the bottle now for 2 weeks and I have to say the samples last night are very good!

Still taste strong hops but I am sure that will calm down after another couple of weeks in the bottle.

I would consider brewing this again.

I've also recently bottled this (3 weeks) and was planning to try a few later today. I've tried a couple already and had the same bitter aftertaste, not too strong or unpleasant, just in the background after a mouthful.

Do you find it a bit over carbonated? I put in the half teaspoon it recommended and I find it a bit too fizzy for this type of beer.

Mine's also a bit thin as I put too much water in (my first kit, so I'm allowed a cock up or two!), so I'd be interested to hear what it should taste like!

I have no carbonation problems, and also I get a good mouth feel on drinking. I find the kit beers that I have done are a thicker consistency to the shop bought bottled beers.

As you can see on previous threads I though I had cocked this one up, but IMO it has come out trumps!

It's still nice (and will hopefully get better), just annoyed with myself as I know it could have been better.

Will chalk it up to experience.

Just a though.. Have you moved your beer out to the shed, or to a cooler place after the recommended 2 weeks for carbonating.
This could be the reason you are getting over carbonated ale... or your yeast had not finished with the wort.
I am still but a rooky at this....;-)

Yeah, it had two weeks in the warm and so far 8 days in the shed. It was down to 1012 for a few days and I think the target was 1014 from memory?

It's not over carbonated as such, just I find it a bit fizzy for the type of beer. It may be because it's a bit thinner (I went up to 25ltr) and it just seems that way. I also remember the draught version being quite flat? But it's been a while since I last had a pint of it.

Had a bottle of Nelsons Revenge tonight and it has calmed down a lot. Its getting better!! Seems like the longer you leave it the better.

Mine is improving too, I think I am just not that keen on it! Still, it can't be that bad as 20 of the 42 bottles have disappeared!

NR is definitely a keeper. It sure does improve with age.
I've got 2 kits that I've got waiting for the weather to cool down before I brew them. I can't wait! I've been sitting on them for the best part of a year now.
There's no way I'm risking them in the Queensland summer months, I never know when I'll be able to get more.
Living in Paradise does sometimes come at a cost.

Enjoy yours guys.

Latest posts

Back