brewed and bottled a monster?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Galaxy hop 2 brewed on 04/01/2015

1.5Kg dextrose
1.5Kg Muntons DME
1Kg Candi Sugar dark
50g citra + 50g galaxy at 17 mins into 4 litres bottled water
50g citra + 50g galaxy at FO all added into fv for 7 days

Straight into fermenter
topped up to 20 litres chilled bottled 'chase spring' to take it to 25 deg C.
1.066 og (Temperature corrected to 20 deg C)
Safbrew T-58 sprinked on dry at 25 deg C.
took both hop bags out on 12/01/2015
ferment temp 18-22 deg C

24/01/2015 - FG 1.004 - sample had no sweetness, but strong & hoppy.
Decanted to bottling bucket
Bottling :115g brewing sugar in 500ml of chase spring boiled water put into Bottling bucket. co2 added to bucket before decanting 19.5 litres into it.

Quick question? - abv calc says I have 8.14% which is 94% apparent attenuation.
Fermentis quotes 70% for their T-58 yeast.

Anyone else had that result from the yeast?

Your low final gravity is cos you had 2.5 kg sugar, and only 1.5kg malt. Sugar ferments completely. The beer will be very dry and short of body I think. You really want to keep sugar down to below 20% of the total fermentable ingredients. Steeping some crystal malt would help increase body and sweetness.

Your low final gravity is cos you had 2.5 kg sugar, and only 1.5kg malt. Sugar ferments completely. The beer will be very dry and short of body I think. You really want to keep sugar down to below 20% of the total fermentable ingredients. Steeping some crystal malt would help increase body and sweetness.

Thanks for the info cilbit, I've had a few Belgian strong ales that were light but strong in alcohol which is the opposite to Mcewan's champion 7.3% and thick. SO I'm ok with that, but crystal malt it is next time.

How did I get apparent attenuation of 94% - on brew target it said 6.5% for 70% attenuation. The attenuation info for T-58 said 70% so that's why I thought I'd be ok. so if sugar is always 100% attenuation what is the quoted figure of 70% attenuation referring to?

It's because you've used far too much sugar. Your recipe is 62.5% sugar. Beer is made from grains, and sometimes sugar is added. You don't need loads to lighten the body. So you need to replace a lot of sugar with malt extract. I would only use 500g sugar in your recipe. 750 g maximum. You've got 2.5kg.

If I can remember correctly: Yeast can consume sugars in this order ,with the first sugar being the highest percentage it can consume - if that makes sense - fructose,sucrose, maltose maltotriose (dextrose is in there somewhere but cant remember where, think after sucrose).

So if your beer is 65% sucrose and it can consume 100% of it then you'll have a higher than expected attenuation

Latest posts

Back