Will this work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giancarlo

Reaction score
Hi all , this weekend I'm going to make a new brew. It's a can kit, geordie Scottish export, possibly a short brew 20l, 1kg spray malt, 250g of dextrose for greater abv . This is the bit, I want to add 2l of grapefruit juice (as I posted the other day.) and make It up to the 20l mark. What could go wrong! !!!!

Ok. ... Any ideas on which can to use .
But there's no problem with adding juice is there?

The nearest I have hear is that if you use a one can beer kit and sugar such as cane sugar which will give less body adding a teaspoon of lemon juice will alter the chemical make up of the beer helping it have more body. One person said something about lemon juice being used in very old traditional beer brewing. But this is second hand info and Im sure I only remember part of what was said. The point being that if lemon juice in small quantities affects the chemical content of beer, a large amount of another acidic juice could seriously affect the outcome...but then again, it might not.

I can't answer the question but if I might offer a friendly bit of advice it would be to not use a whole brew to try something you might find you don't like. If you have a second (smaller) fv, even a 5 litre water container would do, you could split the brew to see how it turns out.
This would also let you know how much juice to add. If you like the result then next time do it to the whole batch.
I've read of too many lads 'tweaking' a brew only to regret it at the drinking stage. Good luck.

Back