still no better

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybon92

Reaction score
I brewed a wilkos lager a good while ago with hope that it would be better than my first lager brewing experience, this one would turn out good!
Looks fantastic, clear a good fizz. Just the taste! Btw its been conditioning for months and has the same taste as my first brew

The initial taste is pretty good, a little thin but good enough. but then a massive weird after taste, I've gone through infections and cannot match the taste to any
The closest is possibly a strong "yeast bite"

I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is I'm tasting ! I know it's not much to go on!

It's not sour but its strong

the taste can depend on yeast used fermenting temps and so on. I don't think you will improve upon it now. Just put it down to experience and move on. It may be handy for you to keep a brewing log or similar. Then you can look back and maybe see whats happened in future.

I done a wilko cerveza a while ago and it has a strange after taste, can't pinpoint why either. I've since done a wilko pilsner and it's much, much better.

The wilko cerveza does have a strong taste but I prefer it to the pilsner. Pilsner more like a commercial draught lager I think like carlsberg. Everyones taste buds differ eh?

I brewed a wilkos lager a good while ago with hope that it would be better than my first lager brewing experience, this one would turn out good!
Looks fantastic, clear a good fizz. Just the taste! Btw its been conditioning for months and has the same taste as my first brew

The initial taste is pretty good, a little thin but good enough. but then a massive weird after taste, I've gone through infections and cannot match the taste to any
The closest is possibly a strong "yeast bite"

I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is I'm tasting ! I know it's not much to go on!

It's not sour but its strong

I had similar issues with the brews I did at the warmest part of last summer. An initial high temp does not do any good and in the end:

Vented the excess gas on cool overnights by unscrewing the bottle lids for the night- not removing altogether.

Left it for a while to see if the carbonic acid taste from the excess CO2 went.

Added a stout to mask the aftertaste, and

Put it down to experience.

I've not tried the Wilko kits as I've read mixed reviews, get yourself one of the Coopers kits: Coopers European is a good bet this time of year because it has a true lager yeast for low-temp fermentation, mine just finished after bubbling away at 13C. And make up a hop tea to give it a bit more flavour, 25g of Saaz or Hallertau steeped in hot water for 30 mins, then remove the hops and add to the kit prior to pitching the yeast.

Lagers also take a long time to mature in the bottle, general advice is not to touch them for 12 week or more. This is correct, I've sampled at intervals before 12 weeks and you can taste a huge improvement as the weeks go by. Although I moved my latest Coopers European to another FV and let the yeast drop out before bottling, total 27 days in the FV, and it tasted good at bottling, whereas previous ones tasted a rank.

As you can see from the above, getting a lager good takes a little more time and care than ales, but it's worth it.

I would agree about temp! Although for the first two lagers I did it was alright temp ! I've done two more brews since with good results and I personaly think it was sitting on the yeast cake to long as the other sucessful brews have that same twang but the flavour is over powering it ! That European lager has the proper lager yeast which in my main room it'd be perfect as its freezing in here haha ! Everyone knows the first ever brew you want perfect ! I always said asking as my first one was good I'd continue ! Little did I know I brewed 3 more after that ! I think I'm more confident now with it so the first two which turned out the same I can put Down as practise! After a good red wine ( although too light for me more like rose) and a shots kit forgive me that turned out well my next 23 liter kit I would rack off before bottling to see if that yeast bit would f**k off haha!TThanks for the contribution from everyone !

My first ever brew had something similar to what you describe, a funny twang aftertaste. It was drinkable but not great

I put it down to pitching the yeast on a hot summer day in the middle of July.. I coulnd't seem to get the temp below 25ºc.. it fermented along at 24.

Ever since I have brewed in a set location which is less exposed to the heat and the temp I can keep between 18-22 depending on the time of year and not had a repeat of that issue.

At 6 months the funny flavour never went away but it did appear to diminish a little.. either that or I just got used to it

I've not tried the Wilko kits as I've read mixed reviews, get yourself one of the Coopers kits: Coopers European is a good bet this time of year because it has a true lager yeast for low-temp fermentation, mine just finished after bubbling away at 13C. And make up a hop tea to give it a bit more flavour, 25g of Saaz or Hallertau steeped in hot water for 30 mins, then remove the hops and add to the kit prior to pitching the yeast.

Lagers also take a long time to mature in the bottle, general advice is not to touch them for 12 week or more. This is correct, I've sampled at intervals before 12 weeks and you can taste a huge improvement as the weeks go by. Although I moved my latest Coopers European to another FV and let the yeast drop out before bottling, total 27 days in the FV, and it tasted good at bottling, whereas previous ones tasted a rank.

As you can see from the above, getting a lager good takes a little more time and care than ales, but it's worth it.

I second this. If it's lager you're after stay away from the cheap, quick and easy ones. Coopers Euro with proper conditioning will see you right

Latest posts

Back