Youngs Pressure Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure everyone's familiar with the pleasures of using these things - caps leaking gas if you don't tighten it to just the right amount - too little, it leaks, too much the rubber ring distorts and guess what, it leaks. Also dripping taps and oozings from the rubber seal where the tap screws into the barrel.
Here's a new one - after three uses, I filled the barrel with a rather nice St Peters ruby ale, the pressure built up nicely, then it's all gone. Hmm - so I reprime it taking extra care with the cap. Same thing. And a third time. So now I've had to bottle the stuff and hope that it's still going to be alright - tastes ok at bottling though rather flat!
So what is the problem - well I'm pretty sure it's because the top of the barrel (that's supposed to press against the seal in the cap) isn't of an even thickness and it's distorted to being egg shaped, and the pointy bit of the egg shape is only just contacting the rubber seal. So it's weak there and when pressure builds up it just can't take it.
I'd really like to meet the guy who designed these things and shake him by the hand for a job well done...

I am having a few issues with the CO2 valves on my 2 King Kegs coming loose when unscrewing the CO2 injector widget thing.

Not lost any beer yet but thats due to thorough testing before putting beer in them each time and putting vaseline onto the metal threads so the widget screws onto and off the valve smoothly without catching.

Do the hambleton bard larger CO2 bottles just push onto the valves, rather than screwing ?

I do love the process of drawing a clean pint off the keg every time without worrying about pouring a bottle carefully to avoid getting the sediment in my pint.

I bottle as well so not knocking bottles - kegs are ace when they work but they are a bit temperamental :hmm:

It's cos of posts like yours that I still only use bottles!

I was just getting fed up of endlessly cleaning and sanitising bottles. A long time ago I had a couple of Boots brand PBs that had nice wide necks so you could get your arm in to scrub them out. And guess what, the taps never leaked, and neither did the caps - for some strange reason they actually made the neck and the cap fit together perfectly. It's almost as if they designed it that way.
What I really object to is that the difference in cost to the manufacturer to make something right compared to wrong is absolutely tiny. So why don't they make a good job of it to start with?

I dunno - I think they are described as basic beer barrels aren't they? There are more expensive barrels, like King Kegs.

The bottling doesn't bother me too much, I've honed it so that it's not that much hassle. I wash bottles as I use them, and sterilise with a bottle rinser and starsan just before I fill them, it's a doddle, and quick.

I think the definition of `pressure barrel', even a budget one, should include that it will hold the beer in, oh, and hold pressure as well. Otherwise it's just a barrel shaped lump of garbage. :lol:
By the way, all the problems with the leaking caps could be solved by making the edge of the barrel top the same width as the rubber sealing ring in the cap so you can tighten it up really tight and it would push evenly against the seal, so no distortion of the rubber.

Forget PBs, take the plunge and invest in corny keg system. Expensive initial outlay but worth it.

Must admit after a lot of faffing about wit budget barrels I have got a corny keg, and there is a massive difference. After the messing around with the budget barrels(seals), and adding the extra bits of kit C02 valves, I wished I had gone to corny kegs early. I still use 2 budget barrels, along side the corny keg, but still have issues with seals.

Hi, I know this is a bit late but I'm new around here so am just looking and learning. With reference to leaky 2 inch tops I dumped all my flat seals and bought a dozen 6mm section O rings from a bearing shop in Colchester, I just handed over the cap and they found a ring to fit, once I knew it worked I changed them all over to O rings and haven't had a leaky top since. Taps though!!!! How do you get a smiley with steaming ears???

Hi all, I would in no way say pressure barrels are a perfect design, but, for balance I thought I'd share my experiences of 41 kits with 2 PB fails.
Vaseline, I only smear around threads and lightly under the seal (between seal and cap) and only on the threads of the tap.
Seals, I soak in very hot water to remove previous indentations then cool also make sure they are flat and clean.
Tightening, I think this is where a lot of problems begin, finger tight only. I tighten with extended fingers to avoid crushing the seal, it's a shame Youngs don't use white/transparent caps anymore as you could see if the seal twisted.
A squirt of co2 in an empty barrel is a good way of testing your sealing skills.
Hope this helps.
Rob.

Latest posts

Back