Trying a single hop ale - but what hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
WHICH* hop, i meant which not what haha

Hi all,
I'm wanting to move to BIAB, but before I commit to buying a large enough stockpot I'd like to try a 2 gallon batch.

I'm aware that if i simply scale down a 5 gallon recipe to a 2 gallon recipe it messes with the 'stated' alpha acids (or something along them lines :D) but, for my purpose, I'm doing it anyway.

FWIW i'm using the Greg Hughes book recipes
He has a number of single hop ale recipes, but I dont know which to choose:

- Amarillo
- Saaz
- East Kent Golding
- Cascade

What would you personally choose, and why?
Callum :drunk:

(note: I enjoy all types of ales, beers, lagers, stouts etc. I'd like to know what YOU would choose. I have only ever used hallertau before as a hop tea in a kit)

Amarillo or EKG. I generally prefer Amarillo to Cascade for an American hop flavour (though I've had some great ales with Cascade). EKG is great for English style ales. Saaz is more a lager/pils hop. Good in a blonde summer ale

out of these I'd go for Amarillo. But the idea of a single hop Saaz does intrigue me, given the quantities that his recipe suggests. (Bear in mind the costs too - if you did go Saaz you'd need to buy 3 x 100g packs of hops for his recipe)

Amarillo seems to be a big favourite then. It sure does look great on the picture

My LHBS only sells the 12g bulldog hops, but i wonder if you can smell through the bags as such? Try get a feel for them.

Thanks guys, helps me get a better idea of the 'standard' useages of those hops

Beeston - if i was scaling down to 2 gallon I'd only need 90.8grams, but I get what you're saying - thankyou :)

I've only tried Citra and cascade. Cascade is half the AA of citra but still stinks of hops.
I've dry hopped wherry with citra and I think its too much, I think....

But then again halfway thru the pint it tastes right, and so does the next one!

Have fun experimenting! ;)

depends on the type of beer you like, if your after an APA Amarillo, if you prefer a bitter or IPA i would go with cascade.

I've only tried Citra and cascade. Cascade is half the AA of citra but still stinks of hops.
I've dry hopped wherry with citra and I think its too much, I think....

But then again halfway thru the pint it tastes right, and so does the next one!

Have fun experimenting! ;)

I used to think the Festival Golden Stag was too hoppy and undrinkable but now it seems a different beer altogether! Your palate adjusts and you soon bevome hooked

Heheh, I would use the Galaxy for a single Hop, mind you, powerful, you wont need much for a dam good hoppy brew !

Now your well confused :lol:

Regards

I am drinking tonight 3 single hopped IPA's

Simco
Citra
Pacigic Gem

The base malts are Pilsner with 10 percent Caramel/Crystal Malt @ around 6 percent ABV
They are all nice. The pacific Gem is a delight. Seems different with every mouthful. I am also mixing and matching them to find a good combo.

Latest posts

Back