Suggestions for a BIAB brew from list of ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulmea

Andy
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions based off what ingredients I have in stock.

I only make small 5 liter BIABS now so am happy to try anything and let you know how I get on.

I wonder if there is an app for this or an extension to beersmith. Put in what you have and recipe options come up for you.

Hops

Citra
Challager
Fuggles
Simcoe
North Down
Cascade
Pacific Gem
East kend Golgins

Grains:
Larger malt
Marris otter
Chocolate malt
Special B
Smoked
Biscuit
Munich
Crystal
Caramalt

Cheers for any help.

Andy

I like a simple ale with 90-95% Maris Otter and 5-10% caramalt.

Northdown and EKG is good.

Simcoe and Citra should work well too.

A pale ale. 97% lager malt, 3% caramalt. Maybe do a single hop ale with citra? Lovely hop to use for bittering and aroma. Aim for 35-45 EBU's for a nice subtle bitterness and make the other addition times and quantities suit your taste.
Or maybe throw two or three hops in there.

I like IPA's and strong ales. I have been playing with making some IPAs and have a few fermenting. I am happy to try any thing though.

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions based off what ingredients I have in stock.

I only make small 5 liter BIABS now so am happy to try anything and let you know how I get on.

I wonder if there is an app for this or an extension to beersmith. Put in what you have and recipe options come up for you.

Hops

Citra
Challager
Fuggles
Simcoe
North Down
Cascade
Pacific Gem
East kend Golgins

Grains:
Larger malt
Marris otter
Chocolate malt
Special B
Smoked
Biscuit
Munich
Crystal
Caramalt

Cheers for any help.

Andy

for my IPA (which is my beer of choice I would go with a ratio of 2:1 marris otter to lager, 10% crystal malt (by weight), 5% munich and leave the rest for a strong dark beer/porter.

Cascade at 60 mins 30 mins 15 mins
Fuggles at 30 and 15
dry hop with same unless you want an APA style then use copious amounts of citra

just my preference of course ! :drink:

for my IPA (which is my beer of choice I would go with a ratio of 2:1 marris otter to lager, 10% crystal malt (by weight), 5% munich and leave the rest for a strong dark beer/porter.

Fuggles at 30 and 15
dry hop with same unless you want an APA style then use copious amounts of citra

Sounds great thanks for the advice. I will be trying this 9 liter brew tomorrow

1692.22g Pale Malt, Maris Otter
423.06g Pilsner
211.53g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
105.76g Munich Malt

11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
11.66g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
11.66g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
12.00g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 55.0 IBUs
Est Color: 5.8 SRM

Cheers

Andy

Sounds great thanks for the advice. I will be trying this 9 liter brew tomorrow

1692.22g Pale Malt, Maris Otter
423.06g Pilsner
211.53g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
105.76g Munich Malt

11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
11.66g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
11.66g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
11.66g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
12.00g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 55.0 IBUs
Est Color: 5.8 SRM

Cheers

Andy

Is it fair to say this is a black IPA?
I tried M&S black IPA and it was lovely!I have all of the above ingredients lying around apart from the fuggles and Citra but I will replace the fuggles for Hull melon and the Citra for Galaxy and give this recipe a try.

Is it fair to say this is a black IPA?
I tried M&S black IPA and it was lovely!I have all of the above ingredients lying around apart from the fuggles and Citra but I will replace the fuggles for Hull melon and the Citra for Galaxy and give this recipe a try.

Beer smith reckons this will only be a 5.8 SRM color. About the same color as the other IPA I have made. so very light color.

Not too dark at all then. Will still give it a bash and see how it works with the hops.

I like the sounds of Hull melon. Never heard of it before but the description sounds great.

Aroma

Distinct fruit characteristics including honeydew melon and strawberry flavors

Sounds perfect thanks for the tip.

Hull Melon makes a great late addition or a dry hop, just dont overdo it or it will drown out the other falvours and alter the balance

Galaxy is a cracking hop too !

Fuggles at 30 and 15

I brewed 9 liters of IPA today using this as my guide. Thanks Cheshirehomebrew :p

The OG was out a bit. I got 1.057 instead of 1.060. It was perfect pre-boil so I should have boiled it a bit more to reach the 1.060

I split the brew into 2 1 gallon demijohn and will Dry hop both differently.

1) Fuggles
2) Citra

Not sure when to dry hop yet or how much. I was thinking in secondary with about 12 G for 4 liters of beer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

IMAG0434.jpg

The OG was out a bit. I got 1.057 instead of 1.060. It was perfect pre-boil so I should have boiled it a bit more to reach the 1.060

Not sure when to dry hop yet or how much. I was thinking in secondary with about 12 G for 4 liters of beer.

Nice work, pretty close to the target OG.

Dry hop about 4 days before you bottle it. 12 g in each is fine, equates to 60g in a 5 gallon batch.

agree with clibit, am dry hopping my 5 gallon batch of IPA but withh dry hop twice to avide overly grassy notes creeping in

dry hop for 5 days, remove then dry hop another 5, then bottle and wait

While my IPA is fermenting I started a new brew with my left over ingredients.

Grain Bill for 9 Liter Around 7 ABV

1409.92 g Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 592.10 g Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 592.10 g Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) 296.05 g Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
Hops

10.88 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 0.48 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 mins) 10.88 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 10.88 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
yeast. SafAle English Ale 04

I will then split this into 2 batches and dry hop with some Hull Melon if I can get it and the other with what ever hops I have left and like the smell of. Maybe north down.

Latest posts

Back