Ginger, spice and all things nice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
I see quite a lot of innovative craft beers using different flavourings and I just wondered if any of you guys have introduced anything like cinnamon, vanilla, coffee, elderberries etc etc to your brews and how did it turn out? Two of my favourite beers have these subtle flavourings, Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer has vanilla and William Bros. Midnight sun has ginger.

I really fancy trying some ginger but there is little information on it. Does anyone know if it produces fermentable sugars, how much to use? whether you put it in with the mash or the boil or afterwards?

Many thanks for taking the time - regards Robbie. :drunk:

I made a pale ale with lemongrass and ginger for the wife for xmas which turn out fantastic, needless to say he didn't see much

4500g maris otter
250g crystal malt
20g simcoe hop 60 min
20g summer hops 60min
20g lemongrass 20min
20g ginger 15min
20g summer 15min
20g simcoe 10min
10g summer 10 min
Nottingham yeast

I made a saison today using elderlowers and coriander seeds at the end of the boil. Smelled superb. Ill be adding 400g of gooseberries when racking into the secondary,

so in this instance you just kind of used them like a hop addition at flame out. thats almost half a KG of gooseberries, its sounds delicious!

I made a pale ale with lemongrass and ginger for the wife for xmas which turn out fantastic, needless to say he didn't see much

4500g maris otter
250g crystal malt
20g simcoe hop 60 min
20g summer hops 60min
20g lemongrass 20min
20g ginger 15min
20g summer 15min
20g simcoe 10min
10g summer 10 min
Nottingham yeast

oh yes! big fan of lemongrass, and again it seems as though you use then like one would a hop addition. delicious and fragrant.

I made a Festive Porter using fresh ginger and Five Spice powder to get that clove/cinnamon/aniseed flavour but maybe went a bit mad with the five spice. It's a bit like a liquorice porter - actually quite tasty.

Havent added anything to my beers to flavour it as not a fan of disgusing good beers with fruity flavours, if its good beer why bother, but I have done some stand alone ginger beers, which is to say not ginger flavoured beers but full on alcholoic ginger ale - was nice!

Havent added anything to my beers to flavour it as not a fan of disgusing good beers with fruity flavours, if its good beer why bother, but I have done some stand alone ginger beers, which is to say not ginger flavoured beers but full on alcholoic ginger ale - was nice!

any chance of posting a recipe? I have been watching many videos of people making ginger beer and am somewhat confused, some people add lemons and limes and some people add malt extract and no lemons or limes, some people add spices some people don't. Anything close to Crabbies ginger beer would be awesome - thanks in advance

any chance of posting a recipe? I have been watching many videos of people making ginger beer and am somewhat confused, some people add lemons and limes and some people add malt extract and no lemons or limes, some people add spices some people don't. Anything close to Crabbies ginger beer would be awesome - thanks in advance

I will do tomorrow as it's at home

Latest posts

Back