Fermentation cabinet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenthorpe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've always been a big real ale/craft beer fan and recently sampled a friend's home brew, he had used the Youngs American IPA kit.

I have wanted to go down the all grain route for a long time, but haven't had the time to do it properly. I was so impressed with the beer from my friend's kit that I have leapt in and decided that this is a good starting point.

I've purchased the Youngs New World Saison kit and am hoping to start it next week.

My only hurdle has been finding somewhere suitable to carry out the fermentation, my house doesn't hold a very stable temperature (I know that the Saison in particular is better when fermented pretty warm). I wanted to carry out my brewing activities in the cellar but it's pretty chilly! This has led me to build a temperature controlled and well insulated fermentation cabinet which I'm hoping to complete this weekend - I'll post some pictures once it's done.....

Looking forward to learning and sharing on the forum.

Looking good there..looks like you have sealed the joints ok:)
if the cellar provides the cooling great idea..

how about sitting it at waist height though? that way you can drain/siphon without lifting and disturbing the yeast??

My fermentation cabinets x3 - doesn't cool as it's nearly always heat I need in my garage (Scotland). If I ever do need to cool, I think my plan was to use frozen 2L pets bottles of water in the chambers and change evey 12 hours. Think it was something like -1' for every bottle but... that was just being silly, it's always b* freezing in my garage :D

What does your door look like and how do you fit it?

DIY Fermentation Chamber Mk2 - small.jpg

These setups are looking proper trick, lads!

Going to have to get involved at some point. How've you gone about the heating/stat arrangement?

Dave

Mine will have a 60w tube heater (which I'm hoping will arrive today) to look after the heating requirements, an STC1000 regulates the temperature. The cabinet is in my cellar which is always pretty cold all year around so I'm hoping not to have to cool it. Having said that it would be fairly easy to knock something up if I needed to.

It will be raised on a bench to about waist height. The door will be the same construction as the rest of the cabinet - 3x2 timber, 50mm insulation and double skinned. I've almost finished the door and should have it all functional tonight. There will also be draught excluder strip around the door to keep the heat in.

Point taken.

The cellar is currently 6 degrees so crash cooling in the winter won't be too much of an issue! I'm not intending to make any lagers just yet but will investigate the best way to potentially add cooling later on.

I have one of those heaters and I am sure the instructions said to fit it horizontally not vertically, can anyone else advise.

I was going to build my fermentation chamber as I had read how much cheaper it was than buying one. Part of that cost savings was due to finding a used small fridge for free or cheap. I didn't like that idea as when it goes out you'd likely not be able to find another to fit it and thereby leaving you with the need to rebuild it or modify it. After all of the materials were figured the cost ended up more than what I could just buy a small chest freezer (218L) for.

I did want to build it though as I greatly enjoy projects such as that, though I am no carpenter.

I think that they are better in an open space when vertical, but in a closed box I dont think it makes much difference.

I can't think of any safety concerns with vertical mounting.

I have one of those heaters and I am sure the instructions said to fit it horizontally not vertically, can anyone else advise.

i read a post on here where someone had fitted it like that and was told to fit it horizontally as per instructions and it appears it was right

I have had a look round tonight, the majority say horizontal and some say horizontal or vertical.

Please note that Safety Guards and stacking kits are available.

Sizes Available:
1 Foot (300mm) = 45 Watt
2 Foot (600mm) = 80 Watt
3 Foot (900mm) = 135 Watt
4 Foot (1200mm) = 180 Watt

* WARNING THESE HEATERS MUST BE MOUNTED HORIZONTAL EITHER FLOOR OR WALL, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE MUST THEY BE MOUNTED VERTICAL AS THIS MAY CAUSE A FIRE HAZARD *

Please note that in certain instances on first start up, a small amount of smoke can be seen discharging from the unit. This is excess oil on the element and should stop in a short period of time.This is perfectly normal in this type of heater.
For added safety all our Tubular Heaters are fitted with a heat sensitive cut-out. In the unlikely event of failure, this prevents the unit from overheating.

I did the man thing and threw the instructions away. Installed it vertical and didnt appear to be an issue just made a few crackling sounds ever now and again but then one day I came home to find it had caught fire and the remains drooping all over the place. Anyways after long talks with manufacturer it was because I installed it incorrectly:doh:. Always install horizontal. No harm done it was in my green house.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back