Muntons stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausagefingers

Reaction score
Got a Muntons Gold Midas Touch brewing and the damned thing is stuck at 1015, it's been brewing for 12 days at a steady 20-22 degrees and hasn't budged on the hydrometer for 4 days,gave it a stir yesterday but it hasn't moved 24 hrs later. Is it knackered or can it be saved? Surely it should go lower than 1015.
It looks and smells fine but a quick google turns up quite a lot of stuck Muntons kits.This is my first ( and probably last ) Muntons kit and I thought paying for a premium kit would be hassle free for a buffoon like me, looks like I was wrong
Any help very much appreciated

Cheers Myqul, I'm new to this so I'm embarressed to say I haven't heard of yeast nutrient. Is this something can be bought from the LHBS ? I'm going down tomorrow to see if I can sort this out, I've just checked again and it's just not budging from 1015. If I bottle it now will it just taste horrible? Using the calculator it will come out at 4.4% when it should be around 5%
Thanks again and sorry for all the stoopid questions :doh:

Your LHBS Will definitely have yeast nutrient Wilkos also stock it in their home brew section. However, when I had a stuck Woodford wherry, the yeast nutrient couldn't get it going again. I think it's best added at the start of fermentation to help the yeast. A second packet of yeast didn't help either, but wherry is notorious for stuck fermentation, so you may have better luck with your kit.

Raising the temperature an couple of degrees can often help get it going again after a gentle stir to lift the yeast.

I'm not sure it is stuck, almost all stuck brews stick at 1020, I reckon it's just slowing right down as it's reaching the end of fermentation.

Yeast nutrient helps the yeast and needs to go in at the start, if it's stuck the yeast has finished so no amount of nutrient will help. If it's made by Munton, I always put a teaspoon or two on nutreint in, available from Wilcos.

I'd be tempted just to leave it alone another week in the warm, although brews do sometimes finish a bit high - the instructions are only a guide.

Just to update this, my van broke down so wasn't able to pick up any yeast and with all the faffing about I just ended up leaving it.
It's dropped a point in a week to 1014 so I think that's pretty much it. I'll bottle it tomorrow and see how it turns out.
Cheers again for the advice

It'll almost certainly be fine, just a bit weaker than expected. If you're going to bottle tomorrow, stick it somewhere as cool as possible until then which will help it clear, reducing sedement and potentially any homebrew twang.

Latest posts

Back