Cornelius Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_city_of_homebrew

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just bought a corny keg which is the keg on its own with no fittings etc. what do I need to get this up and coming? I have a regulator on order and the co2 gas itself being picked up tomorrow. Where is best to buy any beer/gas lines? Anything else I need??

Get all your bits and bobs from the 'Malt Miller'. He has a link on his Cornies listing the parts you need.

The only thing missing I would say is a length of 5' or 2M of 3/16 hose and x2 3/8 to 3/16 John Guest reducers to enable better control of serving pressure via his party tap (if you want to serve direct from Cornie).

I just went with the standard party tap 3/8 hose and had trouble keeping the foam down (one third lager / two thirds foam) while serving. Yes, even at 2-3 psi! :cry:

Control of its temperature is best, awareness of the effect of the ambient temperature at worst is needed.
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

the keg alone is just the storage aspect of the dispensing system.
a combination of gas pressure and temperature control allow you to create and maintain the ideal level of condition for your beer,

the pressure used to maintain the keg pressure dictates the pressure balancing measures you take to reduce the pressure at the tap point to a level below that which will stimulate a foam out.. the 3/6" microline suggested by BaggyBill above is the usual solution, tho flow control taps and inline devices can also be used, in my limited experience of my own flow control taps they are ok for lower pressures (upto 6-8psi) but pants above..

most folk use a fridge mod to store the kegs at the ideal temp, i dont have the room, so my kegs sit in an outhouse ok this time of year but come summer i need to run a shelf chiller to serve anything but foam.

its doable without temp control, but needs a lot more tweaking, generally a vent of any excess pressure build up is all thats needed before a session but if the temps changed dramatically since the last pour you may also need to tweak the gas pressure too.

Knock the pressure down with rising temps and up with dropping temps keeping the kegs stable during the day/night cycle with insulation.
If the kegs vary in temp during the day too your never gonna win...

if you have room a keg fridge is the way to go...

Latest posts

Back