Oatmeal stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for a fairly simple AG oatmeal stout? I have tried to search the internet but either they are partial extract or with a kind of American styling to them ( I find our American cousins recipes are rather more complicated than our British ones)

If anyone has a link or a recipe I would be much obliged if you could post it - regards Robbie.

Sorry no, I haven't, but it looks like a good solid recipe, a good example of the style, and the commercial version is great, and very popular.

The recipe so far looks like this

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Grains

3.7 Kgs- Maris Otter
450g - Flaked Oats
230g- Crystal Malt (60L)
230g - Chocolate Malt
120g - Roasted Barley

Hops

50g - East Kent Goldings - 90 min.

Yeast
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast ( I cannot get this so maybe Nottingham Ale yeast or S-04)

Mash/sparge/Boil

Mash at 66 Celsius for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 90 minutes (remember to compensate your water)
Cool and ferment at 18 to 20 Celsius.

I can buy all of these ingredients with the exception of flaked oats (but hey, that's just porridge oats right?) , even more than I need from the Worcester hop shop for not much more than £12. Is that not amazing? Ok, i need to pay for carriage, but even so, its pretty awesome.

No, kind of a sharp taste. A taste that would make your mouth pucker - imagine what sucking on a teabag would be like.

ok I wonder why that would be. I did read that some people think it might be better to simply steep some kinds of grains like chocolate malt or roasted barely rather tha mash them or that one should pay attention to the mash time because like making tea you don't want to 'stew' the mash. but i dunno, i am not very experienced and cannot tell if there ideas have any merit.

If you google 'astringency' as a home brew off flavour, there are a number of different causes such as sparging to hot or too much, even the oats themselves can cause astringency, so I couldn't pin it down in my brew.

Dont let me put you off doing oatmeal stout though, my cock up was probably due to my often cavalier brewing methods - I generally take the attitude 'if it makes me a beer I can drink without it making me gag I'm fine with that brew' so I often dont take careful note of things like mash times or mash temps

If you google 'astringency' as a home brew off flavour, there are a number of different causes such as sparging to hot or too much, even the oats themselves can cause astringency, so I couldn't pin it down in my brew.

Dont let me put you off doing oatmeal stout though, my cock up was probably due to my often cavalier brewing methods - I generally take the attitude 'if it makes me a beer I can drink without it making me gag I'm fine with that brew' so I often dont take careful note of things like mash times or mash temps

LOL its too funny, swashbuckling brewing style, arrrrgh me hearties! Will check out astringency and what could cause it.

If it's like sucking on tea bags then you are talking about tannins, and I understand in beer brewing this is caused by mashing st too high a temperature or sparging too hot or for too long.

If it's like sucking on tea bags then you are talking about tannins, and I understand in beer brewing this is caused by mashing st too high a temperature or sparging too hot or for too long.

Now you've confused me clibit (I understood what you say,above btw). So now I'm not too sure whether the off taste was astringency or tannins as to me there very similar 'tastes' :wha:

What do yo guys think to the idea of steeping some of the speciality grains rather than mashing them with the main malt? Do you think it makes any discernible difference to the flavour?

Back