10ltr allgrain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stevej

So here we go had a few bags of grains so decided to try all grain 1st time only got a small pot thought id try before buying all the gear have not got a clue what i have created so this is what i used
1kg pale malt
250g caramel malt
50g choc malt
25g challenger at 60 mins
20g cascade at 15 mins
yeast safale 05
how much yeast should i use? sg was 1045ish
What do you think
Regards Steve (be gentle )

Hi the recipe sounds nice. Should be a nice dark sweetish ( 20% caramalt) ale.I brew 7 litres batches and still use the whole 11g packet.

Hi Chaps thanks so much for your replies and input wasnt sure what it would turn out to be or like lol enjoyed the whole process much better than just making kits and tweaking them with hops now starting to look at bigger pots how big do you think i need to get as a starting point.
Regards Steve.

I think 10 litres is a good brew length, for now at least. A get a good amount of bottles, but bot so many that a brew you don't like much hangs around for ever, or gets thrown away. You get to experiment with regular brews. If you want 20 litres, you can do a partial mash - just add DME after the boil, and top up the FV with cold water.

Hi clibit the thing is im struggling with the pot ive got anyway as its a bit on the small side i get what your saying, how much dme would i have to add to the boil to get to 19ltrs. What size pot would you recommend to brew 10>15 litres with plenty of room to avoid the boil overs
Regards Steve.

I use a 15 litre pan. This enable me to make 10 litre AG brews comfortably, starting the boil with around 12 litres.

You cam mash more grain thanyou need for ten litres, then boil, and add water and maybe some DME.

If you use 2kg of Maris otter and add 1kg of DME this would make 19 litres at an OG of about 1045.

Just boil as much as you can, 12 litres would be fine, stir in the DME when the boil ends, and top up to 19litres on the FV.

Fastest brew of all time down to 1010 already, Tasted trial jar tonight wow over done it on the hops hoping it will calm down abit never mind no better for next time. Bigger pot on the way on friday so going to try a brew from camras brew your own british real ale book any one tried any recipes from this?
Regards Steve.

Quick question when do you add the irish moss, Doing a timothy taylor landlord clone from the camaras brew your own real ale book 19ltrs
pale malt 3510 g
black malt 25g
mash time 90 mins at 66c
golding hops 25g
styrian golding 25g
last ten mins 16g styrian golding hops
boil time 90 mins

Hmm tasted the above today tastes nothing like timothy taylor lol very light looking almost like lager not a great amount of taste either quite dry tasting actually, Can anybody advise me why its so dry and light in colour and maybe how to improve it next time around oh forgot to say fg is 1008
Regards Steve

25g of black malt is never enough to get it to TTL colour. The other main issue is yeast, you won't get close to landlord without a suitable yeast. Gravity of 1008 means the beer will be quite dry.

I used the cameras real ale book for the recipe it did not mention the yeast i used nottingham yeast :confused:
Regards Steve ps thanks for your reply yet again

I know, some recipe books don't mention yeast at all, but the yeast selection makes a huge difference. It's very difficult to copy a beer, and getting the yeast right is one of the most important things, probably the most important.

But be patient, I'm sure with conditioning time your beer will turn into a great pint. How longs it been in the FV?

Probs 2 weeks very disappointed in my second all grain my first has turned out to be a real belta loads of nice flavours and smells :sick:
was planning a new 19 ltr brew on sat morning need help lol
Regards Steve

Latest posts

Back