Attempting BIAB what do you think?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoonigan

Reaction score
Hello,

Decided to have a go at doing a BIAB Brew next week, starting off with a 10 litre brew that I can hopefully do in my 20 litre pan.

Plan is to keep it simple, single hop, single malt using Marris Otter Malt and Simcoe hops, would appreciate any input/feedback to my planned brew as below before I jump in feet first....

I would idealy like a light coloured, hoppy APA style beer, and I have worked my recipie out in making 60% efficiency, not sure if that is realistic or not? So here goes :pray:

Target volume= 10 litres
Boil volume = 12litres
Efficiently 60%
Boil time 60 minutes

3kg Maris Otter mashed in 7.5 litres, then sparged with 4.5 litres of water

Hop additions all Simcoe @ 15.5% AA 50g in total

6g - 25mins
6g - 15mins
6g - 10mins
9g - 5mins
9g - 0mins
14g - Dry hopping

Safale 05 yeast

Hopefully this should result in:

OG = 1.057
FG = 1.016
ABV = 5.39
IBU = 40.63
SRM = 6.93
BU:GU = 0.71
:drink:

Very new to all this do I'm sure I have overlooked many things but I guess we all start somewhere ...

Hey Hoonigan

I plugged your numbers into Beersmith for a 10L Batch BIAB with Sparge general profile. The BIAB brew profile is based on the average 60m boil evaporation (2L), trub loss (1.5L), cooling loss (4%), vols etc..., so you'll need to get to know your equipment first and measure each. I'd recommend measuring evaporation from you stock pot first, but trub loss etc... will need to be measured on your first brew. I'd say you'll get at least 65% efficiency too.

It's gonna be a strong one :-) You can even afford to reduce grain bill be 0.5 KGs and you'll still get a 5.5% ABV brew. As for the APA style - colour and bitterness look good.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoonigan APA Hopped
American Pale Ale (10 A)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 l
Boil Size: 13.96 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 11.96 l
Final Bottling Vol: 9.17 l
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Equipment: Pot (19 L) - BIAB
Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.8 %
Est OG: 1.062 FG :1.01 ABV 6.8%

Total Water Needed: 16.96l

Mash:
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 100.0 %

Mash In - Add 7.82 l of water at 71.4 C for a 64.4 C mash at 75 min
Fly/batch sparge with 9.14 l water at 75.6 C
Add water (if needed) to achieve boil volume of 13.96 l

Boil Ingredients:
6.00 g Simcoe [15.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min
6.00 g Simcoe [15.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
6.00 g Admiral [15.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
9.00 g Simcoe [15.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
9.00 g Simcoe [15.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 11.96 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG

Transfer to fermenter - 10L after trub loss

Dry Hop:
14.00 g Simcoe [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture.JPG

Check out Stesmi's water quantities, you didn't have enough, which is mainly down to grain absorption. You lose about a litre per kg of grain.

Brilliant, thank you all for taking the time to look at this?

I can now see I need nearer 17 litres now to get my target of a 10 litre batch, his has now got me wondering if my pan will be big enough? It could well end in divorce if I overflows in the kitchen:???: I will probably reduce my grain by .5kgs so that should reduce my loss a small amount, but am I pushing it using a 20litre pan? Quite a learning curve all this, eh!

I did try to use Beersmith 2 on my iPad but got completely baffled by it, so used Brewers Friend lite instead which seemed a little simpler for me, though I will hopefully use Beer Smith more as my experience grows, now I have the app for Beer Smith can I get it on my PC too or do have to buy another version?

Thanks again

I've never done a biab or other all grain brew before - so this might be a stupid comment. But why can't you do a mash with a little less than the volume you need at the end, do the boil, then top up to the final volume for fermentation?

I've never done a biab or other all grain brew before - so this might be a stupid comment. But why can't you do a mash with a little less than the volume you need at the end, do the boil, then top up to the final volume for fermentation?

Good question.
You can. It's called maxi-biab. Basically (I emphasise basically) you do a BIAB then dilute to required volume. Lots of YouTube vids on it

Brilliant, thank you all for taking the time to look at this?

I can now see I need nearer 17 litres now to get my target of a 10 litre batch, his has now got me wondering if my pan will be big enough? It could well end in divorce if I overflows in the kitchen:???: I will probably reduce my grain by .5kgs so that should reduce my loss a small amount, but am I pushing it using a 20litre pan? Quite a learning curve all this, eh!

I did try to use Beersmith 2 on my iPad but got completely baffled by it, so used Brewers Friend lite instead which seemed a little simpler for me, though I will hopefully use Beer Smith more as my experience grows, now I have the app for Beer Smith can I get it on my PC too or do have to buy another version?

Thanks again

20l should be ok. I plugged numbers in for 19l to give a small room for error. :thumb:

Well progress is being made and all being well tomorrow night is the night....

I've been busy getting ready, bought a grain bag, some whirlfloc tablets, and some StarSan, then out of the **** in mine and my dad's garages knocked up a wort cooler and digital thermometer all of which coast me the grand total of £8.99 (even Mrs Hoonigan is finding it hard to moan so far):whistle:.
Got the house to myself tomorrow eve so shouldn't be a problem to use all the towels to keep the mash warm... Really looking forward to it now and will try to remember to take some pics and then update this with my progress :drunk:

i'm liking this. my first BIAB from a week ago is down to 1008 today, put the dry hops in, will bottle next weekend. only advice I can give is make a checklist before you start. I forgot to put my protofloc tablet in....that said, the beer is looking really clear in the FV anyhow.....

Well I did it!

All in all not too bad, but lots of lessons learnt.... Firstly it turns out my pan was 15ltr not 20ltr, Doh! The mash went very well only loosing 1 degree in 70mins and after about a 30 min sparge I ended up with about 12L with an OG of 1060 @ 42 degrees, I did then get another 3ish litres but did not add it as the gravity was so low I figured it would just be watering it down, not to mention my smaller than anticipated pan!
The boil seemed to be going to plan and got up to 100 degrees in about 20 mins but could not get a good rolling boil and didn't seem to get a hot break, decided to split it into two pans at this stage so poured over half into another pan which gave a rolling boil very quickly but my original pan just would not get going, swapped rings but still the same, soon realised the **** cheap pan just did not have enough steel for the hob to be efficient, so kept it on the boil and used it to top the smaller pan up where I quickly got my hot break, all additions went fine (almost forgot the whirlfloc) and in the end I had about 10 litres so I quickly boiled up the other 3 litres and added them in to allow for Trub loss.
The cooling went well and was down to 24 degrees in about 10 mins, transferred to fermentation vat and pitched the yeast and had a final result of about 11 litres @ 1.046 OG, not as high as I though but ok... Started taking pictures but soon forgot, probably due to the 5 pints of 6.1% Razorback that was consumed alone the way, also it would have provided photographic evidence of the state I got out kitchen into!

All this was done on Saturday night started at about 18:45 and finished @ 01:00 so a long process but should be much quicker next time as lessons learnt and I also barrelled my Way to Amarillo, ate crisps and drank beer...
Sunday morning at 06:00 the air lock was going mental, constant bubbling with no let up, still the Sam Sunday night and down to a bubble every 5 - 10 seconds on Monday morning, by Monday evening the airlock was dead with no movement at all and it was the same this evening? Surely it can't have fermented this quickly, can it? I took a sample earlier and was surprised to get a reading of 1.008 or possibly 1.006 (**** at reading these things) so an ABV of over 5% already!

What do you think is it really ready to dry hop or should I just leave it another week or two?

It's not unusual for the gravity to be that low after three days or so. But leave it in the fv for a couple of weeks and dry hop for the last 3 - 5 days.

Back