Galaxy single hop extract on the go

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got my brewuk Galaxy single hop extract on the go today.

They make it really easy. Though there's only one hop type they package it into 3 separate packs, labelled 1,2,3, and the instructions tell you when to add. Easy as pie.

Also managed to get a better boil out of the cooker by half covering the pot. Think I got a hot break too as it foamed up massively at one point, then didn't foam at all after that. Also put a bit of Irish moss in for the first time, we'll see what happens.

Pitched safale us-05 at 21c about 4pm and it's already off.

Apparently this is similar to Old Golden Hen. I'll be v pleased if it turns out anything like that as its a lovely beer.

Happy days! Even managed to destink the house before the missus came home!

Got my brewuk Galaxy single hop extract on the go today.

They make it really easy. Though there's only one hop type they package it into 3 separate packs, labelled 1,2,3, and the instructions tell you when to add. Easy as pie.

Also managed to get a better boil out of the cooker by half covering the pot. Think I got a hot break too as it foamed up massively at one point, then didn't foam at all after that. Also put a bit of Irish moss in for the first time, we'll see what happens.

Pitched safale us-05 at 21c about 4pm and it's already off.

Apparently this is similar to Old Golden Hen. I'll be v pleased if it turns out anything like that as its a lovely beer.

Happy days! Even managed to destink the house before the missus came home!

GHW, just seen your updated sig. How is the remainder of your galaxy single hop going down?:-D

Do you know what I haven't touched another bottle!

Trying to keep all bottled beer for summer as I'm not intending to try and brew after may., so concentrating on draining barrels at the mo.

Was down in Wales last weekend, so gave my brother in law a bottle but don't think he's drunk it yet so no feedback.

Amusingly I also gave my dad a bottle of the lp clone and an amarillo. He opened the amarillo thinking it was the LP and declared it tasted just like LP...think his taste buds have gone with old age. He thought it was good though, and much better than the sh*te he used to brew.

Do you know what I haven't touched another bottle!

Trying to keep all bottled beer for summer as I'm not intending to try and brew after may., so concentrating on draining barrels at the mo.

Yes I was wondering how far into summer I could brew, I think I can move the FV to a cooler part of the house, and maybe brew wheat beers to stretch the brewing season out :grin:

Or you could brew with a saison yeast. Or I've found danstar's bry-97 to be forgiving of high and generally fluctuating temperatures.

Being lazy as I could easily look this up, but other than yeast, what defines a saison? The only one I've ever had is the one from tescos revisionist line. Can't really recall what it was like though!

It's really about the yeast. Most have them Pilsner malt as the majority grain, I think, from memory. But not all saisons do. It's a very loose style.

Had another bottle of the Galaxy tonight as fed of up drinking the lp. It's wondrous, like a juicy passionfruit snog. Something like that anyway.

Being lazy as I could easily look this up, but other than yeast, what defines a saison? The only one I've ever had is the one from tescos revisionist line. Can't really recall what it was like though!

I used Belle Saison yeast with the following kit cans:

3x Wilko Golden Ale & candi sugar - a monster - little drunk - yet
Coopers APA and Wilko Cerveza
The ubiquitous Wherry - magnificent
Coopers Lager and Wilko Cerveza

They were all brewed at low temps in the Autumn, all have the distinctive saison taste. It really is ALL about the yeast with a saison. I "have" the taste now- it is a clear and clean taste, but with strange back-flavours. These tend to over power everything else.

Will definitely do it again.

Latest posts

Back