Building regs, planning and insurance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zee

Reaction score
I chose to post in this section as I think most of the hardcore brewers are here :ugeek:

I have a detached double garage :grin: and its my intension to convert it into an insulated room i.e. smooth screed floor,double skin walls and insulated ceiling/loft. I will keep my garage doors so technically I'm not (yet) changing the intended use.

Q1. Has anyone done this?
Q2. Do I have to get planning and adhere to bulding regulatons?
Q3. What implications will it have with house insurance?
Q4. Do I have to declare to house insurance company that I have a brewery (Ferm fridge running, naked gas flame for boiler etc)?

I am a little concerned that this wil turn into a full scale garage conversion and thats not my intension (yet).

Your help is appriciated :D

P.s. Pics a very much welcomed if you have do this!

I chose to post in this section as I think most of the hardcore brewers are here :ugeek:

I have a detached double garage :grin: and its my intension to convert it into an insulated room i.e. smooth screed floor,double skin walls and insulated ceiling/loft. I will keep my garage doors so technically I'm not (yet) changing the intended use.

Q1. Has anyone done this?
Q2. Do I have to get planning and adhere to bulding regulatons?
Q3. What implications will it have with house insurance?
Q4. Do I have to declare to house insurance company that I have a brewery (Ferm fridge running, naked gas flame for boiler etc)?

I am a little concerned that this wil turn into a full scale garage conversion and thats not my intension (yet).

Your help is appriciated :D

P.s. Pics a very much welcomed if you have do this!

Has anyone done this=== Yes, but not to a detached garage.

Do I have to get planning and adhere to building regulations=== I wouldn't have thought so as you are not changing the structure just filling an already standing garage.

What implications will it have with house insurance=== As its not part of the house and not a direct fire risk I wouldn't see a problem.

Do I have to declare to house insurance company that I have a brewery (Ferm fridge running, naked gas flame for boiler etc)?=== The way I see it is its no different than a naked flame on a gas cooker in the kitchen.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/photo/100-litre-micro-87.html

Regards

Not sure about declaring it unless you are getting it rewired, if you are it would be worthwhile a qualified sparky does the work. My main concern would be adequate ventilation for the burner (well, for you really). At the very least get a carbon monoxide detector? With double walls and insulated loft you could end up with dangerous levels of CO?

Hi, no I am pretty sure you don't have to declare/change anything as long as you're brewing for personal consumption. If you're brewing to sell then you'll need to register

Thanks for the replies Guys, most helpful :clap:

I will plough ahead as planned :pray:

I am working towards the pic attached :pray::pray::pray::cool:

IMG_1248.JPG

Electric Breweries don't generate dangerous level of Carbon Dioxide.

Just say in... Jay

Zee,
have you heard of Tommy Walsh, the handyman from a long gone makeover prog?
He also did "Challenge Tommy Walsh" on Pick TV. One of his challenges was to
covert a garage into a room. I recorded the two programs for my mate who was
going to do this. I can try and upload them onto youtube if you want.
Pete

Back