my first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwoz

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just started my first brew a cech pilsner. Sanitized everything, dissolved a kilo of brewing sugar in to 3 litres of hot water, poured in to 5 gallon container, added 1.6 kg of malt syrup and rinsed pack out with another litres of hot water to get all the syrup out and added it to the mix, added 16 litres of water a mix of hot and cold to a temperature of 23/24, stirred it al up, after 30 minutes added the yeast which I had previously warmed up with 1 1/2 cups of hot water and allowed to cool, clipped on the air tight lid, popped the airlock on and and half filled airlock with sanitized water.

Just wondering if I have missed anything as I'm new to this, thanks in advance

I just hope that, when you say you premixed the yeast with 'hot' water, you don't actually mean hot, anything above about 35C will have killed it...!

I just hope that, when you say you premixed the yeast with 'hot' water, you don't actually mean hot, anything above about 35C will have killed it...!
Time to start a new batch then lol, I was following instructions off another forum which said ad it to a cup and half of hot water and bring to the boil, I did however add it to hot water but didn't bring it to the boil..... I guess it's ruined, and as they say you learn from your mistakes, thanks again

Are you sure they said to boil the yeast?! Might've been the priming sugar, at bottling time?

You just need need to get another yeast sachet. Don't chuck the beer!

Are you sure they said to boil the yeast?! Might've been the priming sugar, at bottling time?

You just need need to get another yeast sachet. Don't chuck the beer!
Yh it said bring it to the boil

I boiled the kettle then left it for about 20 mins and added to a jug with the yeast powder, gonna give it 48 hours and if I can't see nothing happening I'll mix a fresh yeast pack in, at present if I gently press the lid the water in the airlock rises

If you go to Wilko and get a pack of Gervin beer yeast for £1.75 and have it on standby if you have to add it in. If you just crack the lid, sprinkle it in and give it a gentle stir the seal the lid your beer will be fine.

If you go to Wilko and get a pack of Gervin beer yeast for £1.75 and have it on standby if you have to add it in. If you just crack the lid, sprinkle it in and give it a gentle stir the seal the lid your beer will be fine.

Ditto on the above, except I would say just chuck the extra yeast in anyway, 2 packs in a brew never hurt anyone, and the likelihood is the first team is dead!

Thanks I'm going out to pick a pack up later, iv just tested the gravity and it's showing as 10 is this about right for 36 hours, sorry in advance I'm still at the fun with learning stage lol

Also when I filled the tube there was a nice little head on it lol

Last edited:
I just tested it again to be sure and my tubes readings are
0-2 is green
2-8 is white
8-10 is brown
10_15 is white
15-22 is yellow
22-25 is red

When I put it inside the tube containing my sample it rests at 10 with the head of the brew resting at 8

But its producing co2 cos his lid has blown so can you all be sure the yeast is dead

It sounds like the yeast is alive. But, if the yeast was boiled, it's a miracle. So I'm confused.

I never followed through in bringing it to the boil just added it to water that had boiled 20 mins prior, there is still no nothing going on with the airlock tho its just sitting there lol, thanks again for everyone's advice it really is helping

I never followed through in bringing it to the boil just added it to water that had boiled 20 mins prior, there is still no nothing going on with the airlock tho its just sitting there lol, thanks again for everyone's advice it really is helping

I think a photo of your hydrometer in a sample might help us glean what's going on?

It won't allow me to upload a photo, but curiosity got the better of me, I didn't open it I just gave it a little shake, and the lid puffed up and the airlock started bubbling, I also noticed that there was a few bubbles coming out from around the bung that the airlock is sat in, after I stopped shaking it for about 3-5 seconds, am I correct in presuming that this means my yeast is still alive.

Back