Some newbie fermentation questions...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granarian

Reaction score
Hi; planning ahead here, as my first fermentation hasn't finished.

First, I'm assuming that the only way to decide when fermentation is sufficiently done is by measuring the gravity. Do I need to do anything to 'kill' the yeast?

Am I right in thinking that once I've hit the right gravity, I need to prime a keg with sugar before decanting the brew into the keg? Is this really necessary, and if so how much sugar is required? Is there a preference for smaller grained caster sugar over others?

Once decanted, how long should it be left before drinking?!

Hi; planning ahead here, as my first fermentation hasn't finished.

First, I'm assuming that the only way to decide when fermentation is sufficiently done is by measuring the gravity. Do I need to do anything to 'kill' the yeast?

Am I right in thinking that once I've hit the right gravity, I need to prime a keg with sugar before decanting the brew into the keg? Is this really necessary, and if so how much sugar is required? Is there a preference for smaller grained caster sugar over others?

Once decanted, how long should it be left before drinking?!

Hello and welcome.

First of all you do not need to do anything to kill the yeast, in fact you will need to yeast to prime and carbonate even if just a little. You're quite right the gravity will tell you when it is done. Normally readings around 1010 for example give or take a few points are normal. something like 1020 isn't. Once you have a stable gravity over a few days you can be assured the fermentation is finished.

Yes you will need to bung in a bit of sugar, only about 80 grams. THis will kick off a small secondary fermentation within your keg, However the difference is the Co2 this time will not escape and will impregnante into your beer carbonating it.

After fermentation is complete a lot of brewers like to leave their brew in the primary vessel for a few days even a week, it will allow the yeast to clear up after itself and some of it will drop out allowing you to transfer a clearer brew.

Not entirely sure with kegs as I bottle but with bottles they say 1-2 weeks in the warm to allow the carbonation then a few weeks in the cold to help it age a bit.. you can of course try it after a week or so if you want to see how your brew is going but it will improve with age

I agree with Covrich.

I now barrel all of my beers after about 3 years of bottling which is too much hassle for me now.
As the fermentation comes to an end keep an eye on the SG and anything around or below 1010 will be finished. However I am never in any hurry to move the beer from the fermenter and may keep it in primary for a further couple of weeks before moving it into a barrel.
There are a number of websites that will give you your priming sugar figures although you need to know the required CO2 volume of your beer style.
Once racked I still keep the barrel up to temperature for a couple of weeks to carbonate and then let it drop in temperature for at least a month before the first sample. I brew all my beer in the garage and use heater belts with all my barrels controlled by aquatic thermostats that ensure a constant temperature +-1 degree.

Latest posts

Back