BrewPi, stc1000 or fermostat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roysy

Reaction score
There are lots of threads on stc 1000 and brewPi but an easier but more restricted method would be the fermostat. I am interested in personal views. I realise each has it's pro and cons but once set up and the initial excitement settled, how much of the extended facilities are actually used?

I like gadgets and challenges, love projects but is this of sustained use or once set ups created, no longer accessed?

The wife is unlikely to allow me more than one keezer and the idea of operating more than one unit therefore unlikely.

Roy

well I've got the stc-1000 and it works great for me for fermenting and lagering/conditioning. very simple gadget.

STC-1000 controlling my heated fridge all year round. Simple to wire, simple to use and ultra reliable too. Can't see what else you'd need.

Also using an STC-1000 here too. Absolutely love it. Have to kicking a fridge in when needed like a lot of people. Honestly can't imagine fermenting without one now. Used it nearly constantly for about 2.5 years now with zero issues. If it broke I would not hesitate to buy a new one straight away.

Thanks everyone, will take your advice and save lots of money :-P
Roy

also for a more sophisticated STC1000 system google stc1000+ and stc1000pi
for 2 x s/w upgrades you can flash yourself onto the device, or get a friendly brewer who is set up to do it to do it for you.. will give you features like control over temperature ramping And set things like 5 days at 18c then 2 days at 23c followed by a crash cool to 0C :cheers:

Interesting and actually sounds quite attractive ......but?

Apparently, this was written for the older version of the STC 1000 although some very newer versions may be compatible again. It is down to whether you have the five solder points to connect so I await my stc 1000 with some apprehension.

Thanks for advice though, would never had known it existed otherwise :thumb:

Roy

what i know about electronics could be tweeted in a single message, but the stc1000 stocks available are all over the place, i bought some v1.0 boxes a month or 2 back, And now some V1.1 have been discovered to take the 'hack' too, its a case of buying blind breaking the seal and having a look, if the 5 x solderpads exist it seems then it may take the hack?

also i screwed up one box attempting to solder connections to the pads, afterwards i discovered most folk just make a physical contact and hold in place for the duration of the flash (20 seconds or so).. tho adding the 2nd probe option for the mash controller version will involve a solder job..

ps if you do flash, download and even laminate the manual for the upgrade, ;)

Back